Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2970-deaths-up-since-florida-helmet-law-repealed.html)

edward44 08-10-2005 09:08 AM

Re: Wondering who was going to bring that up...

I take it your mc policy does cover your personal medical costs. Could you tell me what Company that is with. I would like to get a quote.

Having your coverage in the hands of someone else must not be confidence inspiring. If your injuries required high cost and an extensive time off, would they be there for you?

My bill was paid for by my insurance company and I used that to indicate that $4k a day is probably the going rate. A really serious accident, not unlikely especially on a motorcycle could run up a cost of half a mil. Run that out on your calculator. And if you can't have the debt cancelled by bankrupty, and don't have the money to pay, better move to Florida like OJ to at least have a house.

The problem is getting afforable health insurance. IMO, that should be governments role but no point in discussing that.

sportbikebandit 08-10-2005 09:09 AM

Re: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

Dude the statistic is deaths/1000 accidents. read my post above. The number of motorcycles has no effect.. This statistic is normalized like per captia data.

Solace 08-10-2005 09:12 AM

By Solace on...

I'm a member of society as are you. And as such, it's well within my rights, to tell you what to do. If more people agree with me than agree with you, then with some effort I make a law. Now of course, you don't have to do what I tell, but if I've managed to make get it made into a law well then you do, or you face the consequences. So it isn't specically ME that has a right to tell you what to do, it's society at large, I may just be the catalyst if you will. You pay taxes right...who's tells you to do that, sure'd be nice to keep your money. Kind of infringing on your freedom isn't it, after all you work hard for it. Freedom freedom freedom....chuckle. People are so caught up fighting for their freedom, that they ignore how much freedom they've already given up, and how possibly this may have been for the greater good. Is all encroachments on freedom right, no, not always, but again its a question of value judgements, so get over it, your not free in this society by any means, your just more free than other societies. Uh oh, you're not saying it's all relative again are you... most things are, think about things in the broader context of not just you, but your place in the world. As for Bicycles being more dangerous than cars, I was sort of alluding to us all poking about on bikes, with no cars at all (and helmets of course!), "Gasp", perhaps I did assume wrong, but of course that wasn't really the point trying to be made ;)

Solace

Hutchinator 08-10-2005 09:12 AM

Re: OK guys time for a Statistics lesson

Man, those are some good solid numbers with a through examination. Good information in general too. Great breakdown and analysis.

You rock. Thanks.

BMW4VWW 08-10-2005 09:18 AM

Re: Why your 'stat' means nothing

Your're not actually going to make an argument based on logic, and supported by facts here, are you? Van

BMW4VWW 08-10-2005 09:24 AM

"I'm a member of society as are you. And as such, it's well within my rights, to tell you what to do. If more people agree with me than agree with you, then with some effort I make a law."

Solace 08-10-2005 09:24 AM

Re: One

Now granted I'm a fine liar, but then again I wasn't the one proposing the idea that the increase in ridership was a contributer, you were. Attack the argument, not the person.

Solace

BMW4VWW 08-10-2005 09:32 AM

That has to be one of the most ignorant comments ever made on any of these threads. The kind of pure democracy that you allude to caused absolute disaster after the French revolution. The United States is supposed to be a Republic where the few are protected from the tyranny of the majority. I would suggest that you bone up on your civics prior to spewing any more drivel like that. VWW

sportbikebandit 08-10-2005 09:42 AM

It's really simple. Don't make it too complicated..

Pardon me but I don't see how fatalities/accident is invalidated by your logic i.e. that you have to use miles driven.

Let ask the question this way shall we?

If you are in a motorcycle accident in Florida what are your chances of dying? According to the data in Florida after the helmet law was repealed your chances are almost 4%. Before it was about 3%. That doesn't sound like much but that is a 33% increase. So what could cause such a dramatic increase. Yes the number of inexperienced riders may have changed the population, but we have no data on that. One could argue that training is better now and bikes are better thus the rate should go down. But both those two things affect the accident rate not the survival rate... However, the one thing that is measurable is that the helmet law was repealed which directly affects the survival rate thus the statistic is valid and so is the cause and effect.

sportbikebandit 08-10-2005 09:47 AM

Take two guys.

Increased speed, larger bikes, less experienced riders affect the accident rate not the survival/death rate (deaths/1000 accidents).

You guys need to stop mixing causes and effects up...

I still contend that death rate( ""In the institute's report, the motorcycle-crash death rate increased 25 percent in the two years after Florida's law changed, growing from 30.8 deaths to 38.8 deaths per 1,000 crashes" )

is a great statistic and is directly related by the repeal of the helmet law[/b]

Class dismissed.