Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP weekend... what was your experience?

Like my dad said never buy the first year of any new model. However, to see Nicky win in person would be worth all the inconvience for me. Next year I hope to make it. Hopefully the people who manage the event are listening. I think the event can only get better. You can't beat California sunshine and the interesting Laguna Seca Track.. The announcers on Speed thought it was better than the WSB events of the past in terms of getting people in and out.

If MO was there, where are all the photos, stories, interviews. Did you talk to Rossi, Nicky? Colin? Don't tell me you left your press creditials at home.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
RubberPants
Registered Member

I was very dissapointed with the racing as there seemed to be lessaction than when the SBK was there with AMA. The long line ups the a**hole cops pickin on us. The *****y dusty facility and basicially it was bedlam! I will stay at home and watch it on TV next year!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

To be fair you are right. If it would of been Valentino running away with the race with Biaggi second, instead of two Americans, we probably all be whinning how boring the racing was. Even the AMA SB race was boring. The SuperStock race had some good action until Tommy Gun went down...

About the race track. Have we come to expect NFL like stadium convience at sporting events? i.e. are our expectations of a arguably isolated road track facility tated by newer more urban venues? Just a thought. How did it compare to an outdoor concert?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

should read tainted not tated. sorry
Old 07-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
gforces
Founding Member

It was great. I went on Friday and Sunday. I came to cheer for Nicky and couldn't have gotten a better show. We were perched up on turn 2 and everytime we saw Nicky crest turn 1 in first place, we'd go nuts! You can park your arse anywhere you'd like, unless you paid for grandstand seating or are Brad Pitt and friends in the VIP boxes.

Yes, the track is dusty, and LEOs were ticketing riders that crossed the DY to get around cars. Getting out was an exercise in patience, as each parking lot (or should I say brush field) had only one little bottleneck to get in/out of, and with roughly 50,000 people all trying to get out at the same time. Having driven the car with my non-riding cousin, I will surely let him know that I'll be on two wheels next year.

If I had any requests at all for LSR, it be that they put up more permanent larger bathroom facilities, than the nasty nasty port-a-potties there--and more paved trails surrounding turn 1 and 2.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Overall it was fun. Ecstatic to see Nicky win his first race. Great to finally see the GP bikes in person. Monterey is beautiful.

However it had a different feel than the race I attended back in '02. The constant helicopter runs in and out of the facility for the glitterati, the numerous VIP tents, etc., and the heavily restricted access to the GP area of the paddock, and prime viewing spots unless you were rich and/or famous, etc., made it seem as if the whole event was taken over and tailor made for the celebrity set. I understand that even this is more than the euro fans get but so what. This is America. We are forced to suffer the ignominy of having a great TV channel taken over by NASCAR because motorcycle racing isn't popular, so at least leave us the racetracks to ourselves sans VIP skyboxes and celebrities that couldn't ride a motorcycle well if their life depended on it. I was surprised they didn't erect some catered VIP suites up on the corkscrew. Oops I think I just gave someone an idea for next year.

Your recent article about McQueen was timely. I agree with Dean from Soup. We don't know for a fact that he's spinning in his grave but it sure is likely. Here's one celebrity that would have showed up with a bike in the back of a pickup and threw down with rest of 'em. I'm not holding my breath for Brad Pitt to get his WERA license.

At least the riders know where they come from. Valentino was hassled by the cops on South Boundary road while celebs were being choppered in overhead.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:01 AM   #7
brax4444
Registered Member

The race was great. I love the Leguna track. But does ANYONE else agree that it should have gone to a much nicer facility such as Barber??
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:14 AM   #8
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: Watching on TV next year...

...I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that glorious experience. If it's like this years' telecast, you'll get a grainy picture and Brian Drebber's usual capacity to misspeak.

Also, was it just me, or were both of the marquee events somewhat a parade? I realize that the strategy for both winners was to get out front and ride perfect laps, so this might be due to conditions beyond the control of the SPEED producers. Probably it was their focus on the day's big story (Nicky) that leaves the impression. I'm not really complaining, either: that focus was shared by me.

To be fair, they did spent a lot of time providing very good coverage to Edwards and Rossi's and Spies and Yates' races for position.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:15 AM   #9
red916
Founding Member

Cool! One less person next year!
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:15 AM   #10
edward44
Founding Member

Enjoy it while you can.Valentino and Co. say it's too dangerous and a lot of changes will be needed before they will come back. Read F1 style: very wide track,huge runoff areas, spectators a mile away. Being east coast I didn't get to see it but having been luckey enough to see racing at Watkins Glen in the late sixties early seventies I got got to enjoy the GP, Can-Am and Trans-Am cars race really close up. Nowdays, I think racing is made for TV.

edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote