Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #31
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: SOOPERB

elementary my good man, whip out the green stuff. Soon we will be like Rio de Janeiro, where those with money fly over the teeming masses below. Where at least one or two people associated with the Brazil GP get mugged each year because they don't know better than to stay out of the taxis... o wait, i see that one is off the schedule this year o dear too bad.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #32
fireballxl5
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP weekend... what was your experience?

I had a good time at Sunday's race, but there were problems. Laguna Seca clearly had trouble dealing with 58,000 people, with long lines for bathrooms, food, souvenirs, etc.

Getting around proved exhausting because of the restricted areas, with pedestrians, cars and bikes competing for limited space in getting from point to point and a handful of SCRAMP volunteers trying to direct traffic. If you were seated in the corkscrew area, for instance, and decided to get something to eat or check out the souvenirs, you were embarking on a 90 minute to two hour journey, depending on whether a bathroom visit was included. I was glad I brought a cooler.

It would be a big improvement just to spread out the facilities, so that thousands of people aren't competing for the same bathrooms or snack stands. Also, Laguna Seca might consider having separate entry and exit points for motorcycles and buses. (I took the shuttle bus from Monterey to the track. The buses were supposed to run just once an hour, but demand far exceeded that schedule, and the city ended up sending buses every 15 minutes or so.)

Hopefully most of these problems can be corrected for next year's MotoGP. There's nothing like actually being at the track and seeing these incredible bikes and racers up close. Let's face it: motorcycle racing is still under the radar as far as the general US populace is concerned, so it's fun to see and mingle with 58,000 of "our people" on the rare opportunities to do so.

And while i prefer Sears Point to Laguna Seca, it's unlikely MotoGP will be going there anytime soon.

fireballxl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #33
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: SOOPERB

Erik told me I've got two weeks to "sell my Multistrada while it's still worth something".

On another note I'd like to send out a great big raspberry to the Monterey County law dog that tried to pull me over for crossing the double yellow while on said 'strada.

Yes, I saw you pointing me over to the side of the road and yes, I saw you grab for my arm when I ignored you. Maybe if you laid off the freaking donuts ya coulda got me.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #34
Marin_Cycleworks
Founding Member

We had the advantage of VIP access to the Parts Unlimited hospitality tent at turn 5 and the Red Bull hospitality tent on the front straight. Without that, we might not have gone, with the heat and the crowds, and would have watched the whole thing on Speed TV. They were also filming Faster 3, so you'll really get a good overview of the whole race and environment when that comes out.

We also got a chance to have dinner with Valentino Rossi the Thursday before, courtesy of AGV Helmets, and gave him one of our shop shirts with his name on it - see www.marincycleworks.com for the photo. Who knows, maybe he'll hang on to it as a California souvenir.
Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #35
josiandjames
Founding Member

Unfortunately I had to watch it on T.V. I just could not afford to drive with my family down from Vancouver Island. Watching Nicky Hayden win was a blast. Watching Rossi unable to catch him was delightful. The superbike race was boring. I just wish they would have brought over the 125s and 250s. Seeing seven bikes all going for the win in the last three laps would have been spectacular, as it was in the 125 race at Assen. Maybe I'll make it next year.
josiandjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #36
Zakman
Founding Member

Hi,

I'm local to the San Luis Obispo area and had a great time going to and from the races, up and back Sat. up and back Sun. For me half the fun is seeing what all types of bikes and riders are on hwy 1 on the way up and back. I had two great runs that averaged 60 mph between San Luis and Carmel. 120 miles in 120 minutes. An SV650 is definitely the right tool for Hwy 1. Saturday didn't see a single HP both up and back and Sunday none on the way up and two on the way back. One waiting an the long straight section north of Big Sur and one responding to a downed rider, he didn't look like he was hurt too bad but falling down is never a good thing.

Races good but could have had some dicing back and forth among the leaders.

The most amusing was the crash during the public squid parade lap - the most dangerous place to be on a race track.

Bike that I liked the best on display SR2 Ducati Monster.

Best Rumor: 600 cc BMW parallel twin similar to Kawasaki's upcoming bike.

Both 600s should be fun but I doubt they will surpass my beloved SV. Remember you don't need any more than 70 hp for riding on the street. The roads that are the most fun can't make use of more hp than that, 30-90 mph is true nirvana.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #37
hughesr
Founding Member

I really enjoyed the racing all weekend at this year's MotoGP - and Nicky beat Valentino BIGTIME!!!!

However, next year I will be going on my bike. SCRAMP and the area police totally messed traffic up by not making access roads one-way, and not moving parking openings when lots filled. I also agree with you that they needed to spead the food (and beer) vendors out for easier access.

I've already got my calender marked - see you there.
hughesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #38
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Traffic, traffic, traffic. I've been to 2 WSBK/AMA events at Laguna and this was so much worse. Even if this had been the greatest race ever, I'd probably not return unless the incompetant Laguna Seca management implemented major changes to the traffic problem.

It was so bad that the racing takes a backseat in my memory.

That stated, it was a great set of races and the manufacturers, especially Yamaha and Honda, really put it out for us in the infield. Absolutely first class.

Oh yeah: Hey KTM, will you PLEASE show up so SOME US events? You're not there at the International Moto Shows, you weren't there at the GP (heck, MZ was there).
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #39
brax4444
Founding Member

I was under the impression that Barber was intended primarily as a motorcycle track and Mr. Barber took special care to make sure it met FIM safety standards... Is this not the case?
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #40
Old_Man
Founding Member

Wow, unbelievable comments. I spent 3 days at the event. Everyone was friendly, the races were well organized and on time. There were no injuries and the weather was perfect. The track was in superb shape, the grandstands throughout the area provided great spectator viewing. Almost every vendor was running an event special. The logistics getting into the event were no better/no worse than any event that is handling 50K plus people a day. As far as the facility being a dump, well perhaps when compared with the facility outside Shanghai or in Spain, but as far as the US goes, this is the place to be for motorcycle racing.