Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #21
remanking
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP weekend... what was your experience?

Oh I forgot.... As to the guy that wants to just watch it on TV next year. This years coverage was aweful. The NASCAR station just doesn't get it. I don't know why they didn't just feed us the normal coverage instead of the TWT version. You missed the podium and Nicky's dance, the afterrace interviews, and of course intelligent knowledgeable, commentary. What you did get was Greg White telling you how "Crazy loud" it was every chance he got, and Drebber mis-identifing most every rider. It was the most lame coverage I have every seen. White couldn't even think to interview Rossi, he was too worried about how loud it was.
remanking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #22
tomk2
Founding Member

That's what I was thinking of... how much Sears Point has improved over the last few years and how it makes Laguna look like a badly managed dump in comparison.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #23
fyodordos
Founding Member

just wanted to mention that www.motogp.com provides a good way to watch the race. definitely better than Speed.

no commercials. extended coverage. pretty cool.

fyodordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #24
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

The racing itself was alright- the GP race was pretty boring, except for Colin passing Rossi through the corkscrew. The 600 and Superstock races were much more exciting to watch than the GP.

The two and a half hours I spend sitting in traffic after the race on Sunday put a real damper on the weekend. So did the fact that I paid for a paddock pass, then couldn't get in to the area where the GP bikes were at for most of the weekend. What good is a paddock pass that can't get you into the paddock?

The facility itself wasn't too bad. I've been there before so I knew where everything was at.

The prices for everything seemed pretty reasonable, actually. I've been to other events, such as concerts and NHRA races where water costs more than double the $4 I paid here. Also, if you went by the Yamaha tent, they were passing out water to some of us who waited in line for the Weekend of Champions autographs.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #25
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Road America. Best track in the country, by far.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #26
superchkn
Founding Member

Have you ridden Road America? The pavement is in terrible shape and just like Laguna it would require significant safety updates before MotoGP would approve. I loved riding Road America, but by international standards it isn't up to par. I've ridden Barber too and it's in much better shape and facilities, but not as fun of a race layout as RA. The problem is that most US tracks are layed out for cars and not very safe for bikers. Until that changes we should feel lucky that Laguna even made the grade. I was at Laguna this weekend and saw several areas where bare concrete walls and not enough run off could take someone out. I give "big balls" awards to the AMA guys who race here under our "local" racing conditions.
superchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #27
orcyclist
Founding Member

I rode down from Portland Oregon to see the GP race. I have been coming to Laguna since 1977 (a clue that I'm not a teenager?) I felt that the prices at the track for food and water were in line with the prices at other "events." Yeah expensive, but that's life.

All of the manuafacturers did a great job of letting us have access to all of theri products. I think the yellow Yamaha visor is the best souvenir (well, it is my only one because I refused to stand in the long lines.)

Sometimes racing is not "exciting" in terms of close racing - that's the way it goes. My only request is to bring the 250's and 125's and leave the go-karts for another day. They just don't fit, in my opinion.

Let's give SCRAMP a year to make it better. Yeah, the traffic control sucked big time - the one-lane-no-crossing-the-double-yellow stuff was just stupid. Why not one way inbound in the AM and one way out in the afternoon. Let's get a "FastPass" system for checking tickets so we can just roll through a scanner.

They could send out a bar code for your bike or car to stick in the windshiled or on the screen. Sounds fairly straightforward. Only those who don't have one would be forced to stop for a manual ticket check.

Since the organizers lost $$$ because of the. souvenir situation, I'm sure that will be fixed.

I suggest you write a constructive email or letter to SCRAMP and suggest improvements, they need to hear some good suggestions from us in the trenhces.

Was it perfect -NO. Will I be back next year - You bet!

Thanks for listening. (By the way the ride back through the Siskiyous up to Oregon was just great - lots of twisties, little traffic and few black and whites. Just becasue you ride a BMW and are almost 60 doesn't mean that you don't like the corners!!)
Old 07-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #28
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

And now apparently, according to Soup, they were also horrified that Aaron Yates' wife joined him in the winner's circle. They told her to get out or get fined because she didn't have the proper pass. Whoever it was that said this is lucky they didn't get drop kicked, and this is one time I would defend Aaron's behavior if he did.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #29
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default SOOPERB

for all u complainers, just take helicopter in and out next year, and hang in Cycle World Chalet. Avoid the hoi polloi. Let them eat calamari.

I seen Erik Buell there i said what is new, he winked. Now I see Buell ads not just here but even on Yahoo. What is it man? H-D-powered dual-sport? WHAT??
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #30
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: SOOPERB

And how would one arrange a helicopter flight? And preferably one of the motoGP all-access one-event passes?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote