Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-12-2005, 05:10 AM   #11
955tri
Registered Member

Default Re: MotoGP weekend... what was your experience?

AMEN!
955tri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Hey KP. Those 4 cylinders sounded a lot like two cylinders. Why would those race teams go and ruin that great 4 banger sound like that?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #13
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Edit

My comments do not however apply to Jordan and Matt Leblanc. Jordan antes up and runs a team that requires a lot of money spent by either himself or Nike, and either way he makes it happen for the riders. Leblanc can actually ride and does trackdays therefore he can really appreciate what the racers are doing.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #14
ccmun
Founding Member

This experience was awesome. Yes, it had its poor moments. I spent more time sitting in a rental car getting in out of that bomb-ridden canyon, than I spent trackside. It was dusty, wallet-draining, and demoralizing to see the corporate crowd dominating the setting in F1-style. But you know what--next year, I will be back, this time with a rented bike and tent, or an RV to soak up every moment. I will always cherish my virgin consumation with the chest-reverberating boom of motogp bikes at turn 4. It was simply stunning, and made me feel like a kid again. And 20 yrs from now, I will forget all the lines and other crap will be telling my grandkids about that sound, and Nicky's perfect day.
ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #15
damediggler
Registered Member

Hmmmm,..... I have mixed feelings about Laguna this year. First off, the Moto Gp was awesome. Seeing Nicky get his first ever GP win in person was worth the price of admission alone. Yet compared to 01' and 04, the racing seemed to be average, but that isn't really anyones fault. I do agree that the races in previous years were more exciting but that happens in racing. As far as Laguna Seca is concerned, they have some serious work to do. It just did not seem like they were prepared at all for the amount of people there. Restrooms, parking, traffic, and food were all definate problem areas. And when will they cut those damn trees in the corkscrew so more people can see the freagin track?? They don't have to chop them down , because I like shade too but just trim em so you can see the track better. Because of the lay out it is not a really good spectator track but with minor improvements, it could be much better. I had to wait 2hours just to get out of the parking lot behind the corkscrew. I took a gamble taking the car the last day to the track since law enforcement officers were being Natzis and not letting bikes pass cars(bikes are made to get through tight spaces, and cars are for sitting in traffic). WTF? This was the first year and they were scrambling to make it ready in time. I'll definately be there next year, but if they don't do a lot of fixin' I'll stay home and watch it on TV the years after that.
damediggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #16
ulhpilot
Registered Member

Big bang ignition timing. Torque to the track, less HP. Not enough track for screamer ignition timing.
ulhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #17
cyclox
Founding Member

I was talking to a friend who was in one of the VIP tents in the paddock area about the response of the GP folks to the Laguna track. I surprised to hear that the race officials were horrified that spectators (with passes) were allowed into the paddock area. Apparently, that's unheard of in the Euro MotoGP events. Again, this is hearsay, so it could also be BS.

I thought the best viewing spot was free... up on the hill by turn 2. you could see hard braking for turn 2 as well as some of turns 3, 4 and 5. We sat in the grandstand for the GP race and it wasn't nearly as good. I know better for next year...
cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #18
ValkBandit
Registered Member

sears point. the organizers there actually give a *****.

SCRAMP is managed by a crusty group of hobbyists who could care less if fans are happy.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
remanking
Founding Member

I go every year. I've also been to most of the Euro races. The BIGGEST difference??? The stupid Ahole Cops that just don't have a clue! In Europe traffic moves because the bikes can go anywhere and get through traffic and the Cops don't hassle but actually encourage it to speed things up. At Laguna I think they sat up at night and tried to think of ways to impede traffic flow. I didn't care as i just lane split or went down the opposing lane until some moron told me to get over and then I went right back. Problem is most of the bikers were too scared and sat in long lines with the cars. Too bad as it just doesn't make sense. If a Monterey Cop could just go and watch a couple hundred bikes over in Europe going down the oncoming lane and if a vehicle comes up the other way they all move over like a drill team he might start to get it. Extraordinary circumstances call for a little bit of extraordinary thinking and consideration, but the Cops up there just aren't capable of outside the box thinking, or thinking in any form for that matter. All the local news stations slammed the traffic control so maybe they might get the hint, but I doubt it.

Besides that the track just wasn't ready for the crowd. Souvenir lines were ridicules, food line silly. Even lines to get into the Paddock. As for dust and shabby appearance it looked better than LeMans does, at least there weren't a few thousand drunken French pissing on all the walls. Or Assen where there is usually mud everywhere with a few thousand drunk Dutch rolling in it, or down the hills, and where they took out all the bridges so now you have to walk COMPLETELY around the track to get anywhere.

Will I go back next year? You bet!

Jamie
remanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #20
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

I know several of the GP riders said the track was not yet up to safety standards. I think they may be right. I was in the T4 grandstand during the Superstock race. Saw two crashes where both riders looked like they ended up against the wall. Scary.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote