Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-11-2005, 04:33 AM   #11
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: Best helmet for track use

IICON- snell and dot approved. washable linings good vents reasonable price. They make good gloves, too. Don't know much about the rest but if the gloves and helmets are good the rest probably doesn't suck.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
svo68
Registered Member

Read an article in one of the rags, either May or June, about helments. Turns out your expensive one's aren't as good to your noggin' because they are too hard on the inside and stop your head too quickly, causing internal issues. Some of the cheaper models scored really well, actually won the contest. If you can find last couple months mags., it's one of the popular one's, can't remember which one. Good article.
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:50 AM   #13
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

This is a vast oversimplification of a very complex issue that was thoroughly and intelligently vetted in Motorcyclist (which I believe is the article you are referring to).

Whether or not a very hard shell protects better or worse depends on the criteria by which one evaluates the helmet. I will simply refer the curious to the May issue of Motorcyclist or to the reader feedback in our own Spring Helmet Review.

-martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #14
akcarlson
Founding Member

I had a VR1 for a couple years, and I wasn't too impressed with its aerodynamic properties - it jerked my noggin around too much with various windblasts, and it was pretty noisy. (I ride an unfaired bike with a slightly leaned torso position.) It's okay with 'clean' air, but cross-gusts didn't get along with it at all. My ancient AGV was more stable at speed. The VR1's a decent helmet for the price, but it started to show its age quite rapidly.

I just picked up last year's Icon Alliance on a big-time clearance, and I'm happy on all fronts aside from the lack of removable lining, which I'll accept in a sub-$100 helmet.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #15
shalbleib
Founding Member

it's not about multiple crashes. all considerations will be dot and snell approved. i'm just trying to find one that's aerodynamic, and cool (temp-wise) without spending $700
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote