Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-08-2005, 04:25 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Darwinism in the Windy City

Trouble was, he wasn't on the interstate. The guy was doing a buck 30 on Lake Shore Drive. That is tantamount to having a death wish, and having a very good chance at fulfilling it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

Just playing devils advocate here, but if average traffic is 75~85, 130 is still almost a 50 mph speed differential.

Factor in road debris, critters and "oh s**t, that's my exit" lane changers and you're not giving yourself much of a cushion
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:28 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Update on that collision and another

The DUI limit in Illinois is .08, because they weren't getting enough revenue at .09. I don't think it was ever .1 here.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:16 AM   #14
DaveFla
Founding Member

IIRC, the Feds mandated .08 as part of the Highway Bill back in the '90s. But I'm not saying that your explanation of Illinois' motivation for lowering it is wrong.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:00 AM   #15
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default We don't allow mile_eater's kind around here in Seattle

Well said. 130 mph onto I- 405 will get you smack into the rear end of a Hummer. Have to say either mile_eater has no traffic there or ... Cause around here you do 130 you are going hit something or going to jail. In WA, they will take your bike away, you will go to jail, your license will be suspended, and you will be hit with a fine. Perhaps the Land of Lincoln should toughen their laws...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:15 AM   #16
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Yup - non-Chicagoans probably don't know that the seasonal speed limit on LSD is 45 (40 during the winter). That's pretty low, but he went down at Oak St., which has a 90 degree left followed by a 90 right about 50 yards later (headed southbound). That's where the squids tend to go down...wouildn't you know, at the first point they're required to turn. It is likely you could carve through at 100 if you have "Dirty" skills. However, all bets are off after a 12-pack.
Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:26 AM   #17
sconley
Founding Member

Not that I'm defending this drunken squid at all... But I will say that I've driven LSD hundreds perhaps thousands of times and I knew where this guy hit the guard rail after only glancing at the headline... There's a chicane that (when traveling southbound as he was) that goes 90 degrees to the left, then 90 degrees to the right in about 300 yards of linear interestate... There's no shoulder on the outside or inside of the turns and they are sharp as hell... The originally unpainted concrete is now adorned with colors ranging ford blue to porsche red and all the other colors in between. I'm also not saying we should take out all the curves in the midwest as, I think this might be the only one in Chicago and I do like it... But everyone's doing 80 on LSD during rush hour and even when the cagers come sailing through they are squealing their tyres and sliding into the outside lanes (or guardrail)... It's a pretty squirrly section of roadway in Chicago. Again, I'm not defending this guy, but there's at least one car that hits this same guardrail every couple of days and most of them aren't even drunk or piloting a vehicle with 4 lbs/HP... Which is why they never make it into the paper. Just my two cents.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #18
sconley
Founding Member

One more thought... From the pictures it appears that the weld's/frame of this GSXR held together quite well... I'd say all the previous discussions that raised questions as to the weld strengths should be put to rest now.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #19
Tigercub
Founding Member

Not so fast. The riders body may have absorbed the impact and protected the frame.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #20
Tigercub
Founding Member

The state should ban the consumption of alcohol.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote