Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 AM   #11
bradj
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 Model year bikes

The naked chick in the middle has nice nipples.
bradj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I'm SO jealous of the Europeans and their amazing choices of motorcycles. You would think that with gas prices going ever higher here in the U.S., that people would start to look at motorcycles as a logical choice for transportation. This is especially true for the weekday commuter. I save about $100 per month alone for gas (based on $2.00 per gallon) when I use my motorcycle to commute to work vs. driving. I'm kind of surprised none of the motorcycle manufacturers have touted this aspect of motorcycling in any of their media ads. Sure motorcycles are fun as hell, but now they are even practical!
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #13
SRMark
Founding Member

I thought that was Colin Montgomery.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #14
edward44
Founding Member

Mount this! If you are man enough.

http://www.sachs-bikes.de/de/beast.php
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

Well, actually, the average person will probably not save money, overall, by riding a motorcycle as opposed to driving the average sedan. Yes, fuel cost is less, but maintenance tends to be more frequent and more expensive, as well being harder to schedule and get done on an immediate basis. Add to that the cost of tires that last less than 10,000 miles and cost much more than auto tires, and it is a very lopsided proposition.

I rode a beater VT500 as my prime transportation for two years, and I was able to save a lot, but only because the bike was cheap (free), I did all my own work, including mounting and balancing tires, and the bike was, after all, a Honda, and there were no major mechanical problems in that time. The average commuter is not going to put up with all that to justify a 50% gain in fuel mileage.

Compare the maintenance structure for automobiles vs. bikes in this country. What is the motorcycling equivalent of JiffyLube?

Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #16
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: 2.4 liter Harley

I believe this was a translation issue. Probably meant to say "Ultra Soft Tail"
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #17
Grover
Founding Member

I've always wondered what would happen if I rolled into a jiffy-lube on the bike. You'd probably have to bring your own filter, and I don't know if they'd have 20-50 laying around, but if you're not picky about your oil...

Not that I'd ever do such a thing, I've just always wondered.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #18
edward44
Founding Member

From what I have heard Jiffy Lube is a gyp joint like Midas Muffler. Suggest you Google Jiffy Lube and check horror stories before going there. I change the oil in my bike and the dealer does it for my car because I am too lazy now to do it myself.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #19
jjasper
Founding Member

I agree when it comes to average sedans, I see less and less of those on the roads and more and more massive SUVs.

For a little comparison my F650 costs $5 to fill the tank and goes about 150 highway miles on a tank. My brother-in-laws Porsche Cayenne SUV costs about $55 to fill the tank and goes about 400 highway miles on a tank. Realistically riding around LA he gets super ****ting gas milage and only about 330-350 miles on a tank where I usually get 130-140 miles.

His maintenance is every 20,000 miles I think, although realistically it has been in the shop more than that. Usually takes a full day or two for service. Porsche doesn't give free loaners, bastards!

Mine is every 6000 miles and usually takes a full day for service. I can get a free loaner for my bike to use. Thanks BMW!

Maintenance costs are about the same Porsche charges an arm and a leg for their service, so does BMW.

I can get through traffic in about 1/2 the time thanks to our more biker friendly laws that allow me to lane split and use commuter lanes.

He can put a decent amount of heavy crap in his trunk and it seats 5.

The weather is generally biker friendly year round here.

So for my needs my not-so-average bike edges out his not-so-average SUV. But I think in general for commuters average bikes will edge out average SUVs.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #20
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Just blew back into town after a long weekend trip on the old BMW, and saw your last post about the Busa. WTF happened to it anyway?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote