Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: No More Isle of Man TT Broadcasts

dump wind tunnel and POKER.....
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

What? And give up tractor pulls?
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
edward44
Founding Member

I made note that I had noticed that the TT had been droped from Speed this year on another thread commenting that I felt the presentation left something to be desired showing the same camera shots and featuring the same top few riders year after year. And NEVER any crashes though given the death toll over the years I am not surprised they tend to downplay the high level of danger in competing in this event. No less an expert than John Surtees has called for a revision of the course to make it less dangerous. I would think a massed start on a much shortened course as was used in the past for smaller machines; a maximun of 600cc or less, and perhaps limiting the enteries to bonafide racers might make the event more TV friendly. Geoff Duke wanted to construct a purpose built track when the race was dropped from the calender but there was always the question of accessibility of the island to the type of crowds that would make it pay. Guess the event will be consigned to the history books like Assen as the last of the "real" race courses. Opps, forgot Leguna. Still a great track. I can't imagine what it must be to watch a race like the MotoGP at one of the new F1 tracks in Arabia or the Far East.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
DaveFla
Founding Member

You forgot their new reality chopper show or whatever the h^%$ it's supposed to be...

It's funny but since Fox bought the network and started the changes, it seems like my college degree bearng, upper middle class pals and I watch less and less of it. Are you listening, Mr. Nielsen?

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

I don't know about you guys, but I am starting to plan for a return visit to IOM for the 2007 TT right now. I went in 1989, and it was fantastic. If you have never been there, it is one event you should visit before you die.

As far as the Speed Channel comments go, does any of that surprise anybody?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
smackd2k
Founding Member

It's too bad Speed caters to white, mid-America, inbred, Nascar watching toolbags. F Nascar!
smackd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
GrufRude
Registered Member

Lord,

You'd think with as many channels as are available on TV/cable/sat/etc. that even as small a group as US road race and real road race fans could get in-depth coverage, but apparently that is not the case.

Too bad, as motorcycle racing is WAY more viscerally exciting than NASCAR or F1 has EVER been (and I base that on the reaction I get from my son's GenX friends who are TRANSFIXED by my Duke videos of the BSB championships, MotoGP and the like -- including One Man's Island, Faster! and the like).
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #8
Fangit1
Founding Member

I went to the Isle of Man last year. I've been to a fair few big motorcycle events in my time including WSBK at Laguna Seca, USSBK at Pikes Peak, Easter races at Bathurst, Australia, Sturgis and numerous other rallys and the IOM was easily the best motorcycle experience of them all. Riding the circuit was an insane blast and I do mean "insane" in a part-literal sense!. Definitely go if you haven't been, preferably on a bike from the UK. The ferry crossing with a load of bikers is an experience in itself. The Europeans are motorcycle-nuts like no one elseÂ… I loved it! What a bloody shame if the event dies with the help of FOX.

Register your protest to SPEED here http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

That bloody Rupert Murdoch sure has a lot to answer for...
Fangit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
eekadog
Founding Member

i bearng a degree too.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
mile_eater
Founding Member

F you Nancy Boy.

NASCAR rocks. Does the fact that NASCAR rocks make motorcycle racing rock any less? No. It doesn't, you snot-nosed little elitist.

Of course... everyone who likes something that you don't like must be stupid. What are you? 10?

You redefine MOron.