Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-24-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: More Suzuki K5 Trouble?

First post! Second of the day for me! Read this earlier in the morning.. HD walked away without a scratch
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Tigercub
Founding Member

That's an incredible amount of damage for such a low speed impact. Does anybody know how that aluminum is made? I mentioned before about my footpeg that snapped in two when the bike gently fell over on it. It didn't break off, it snapped into two pieces. The aluminum was crumbly is the best way to describe it, like scintered bronze. Very light weight, but extremely brittle. The frames must be made out of the same material. I'm also guessing that Suzuki isn't the only manufacturer that uses this type of aluminum.

Double cradle frames made out of steel tubing might be the better way to go? I'm kidding of course.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #3
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

George you have inadvertantly outed me. Those photos were taken about 5 miles from where I was born back in hillbillyville. When I was 16 and I got my drivers license (33 years ago last week) the first place I drove to was Hall's down on the river (where the photos were taken) in my marine green '65 Impala. Man what a blast from the past.

Sorry about the bike though. Ouch.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #4
GrufRude
Registered Member

While the frame damage is certainly extreme, I wouldn't expect any bike's frame to survive an essentially head-on collision. From the description, both bikes were moving about 25 MPH and stopped RIGHT NOW at the point of impact. That's a pretty good hit in anybody's book. Luckily, the rider was thrown clear or he would have been badly hurt too.
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Maybe they'll have to go with aircraft style aluminum, what's it called, Duralumin? Gonna be expensive though. Or maybe titanium frames? Gonna be REALLY expensive.

Either way a new stock out-the-door race replica is better than a factory bike of only a few years ago. Cool. Good to see that money they rake in from selling cruisers to all those rubes gets put to good use.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Or better yet stamped-steel like an old Dreamcycle.

Man that 'Zuki frame snapped like it was made from peanut brittle. Technology lurches sideways again.

Make mine chrome molly please.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Does Suz use the extruded molding process on their frames? Yam uses this process and I don't recall any similar problems. It almost seems as if the process that Suz is using is letting too much air pass through the molding process. If bubbles make it into the frames they will be much weaker than they should be. Yam started using the extruded process to eliminate bubbles. Basically, the mold is filled and a vacuum draws out the air in the mold when it's poured. Is there a flaw in Suz system for that frame?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Grover
Founding Member

Aircraft "style" aluminum wouldn't be particularly appropriate for a motorcycle frame since that type of aluminum, while light and "strong" is designed to be somewhat flexible. In fact that's what makes it "strong," it is able to bend and return to its original shape without breaking.

The aluminum in this frame needs to be both lightweight and stiff. Increasing the frame stiffness through material properties (as opposed to geometric changes, like thickness) makes it more brittle which means it doesn't bend, it just breaks.

It amazes me that these types of failures weren't uncovered during the mandatory crash testing that is required for homologation. Unless of course they were uncovered and Suzuki thought it was no big deal. I'm not sure what constitutes "passing" in homologation testing but I think their primary concern is that the fuel tank doesn't split open, a frame in multiple pieces might be deemed an "acceptable" failure mode for the gov't agencies. Who knows. Glad I'm not riding an '05 Gixxer.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #9
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

OK I'm going to beat Burns to the punch. Has anyone called Suzuki and asked them for a comment?
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Fenton
Founding Member

Does anyone have a frame failure total? I think I've run across 3 articles about GSXR's frame failures.

I would imagine Suzuki would have taken a frame and pushed, pulled, hit, banged, twisted, dropped and maybe even run it into a good solid wall (a HD would do) by now to find out if something is wrong......

Then again, go to any cycle salvage and count broken frames. If I see 3 from the same manufacturer, I'm not going to jump to conclusions.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote