Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #1
django9270
Registered Member

Default Re: Opinions on do it alls

Whooohoooooo 1st...yipyip

oh yeah, getan FZ1.......awesome bike.....used goes forabout 4500 bucks. Better speed/handling than any ofthe above.......yipyip!!!!!!!!!!!!!
django9270 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Did you check out MO excellent comparo article? link It compares what you have now to some other bikes including the FZ-6. If you are going to log some serious miles seems like the Futura would be a great choice.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:48 AM   #3
Steve781
Founding Member

Default How About...

If I was buying today with your requirements in mind, I would probably get the FZ1 or a Triumph Trophy. I currently ride an '01 VFR for sport, commuting, and 1000+ mile road trips. If you don't mind buying an older bike, a previous generation (98-01) VFR is still an excellent mount. The new ones with the VTEC nonsense are not an option. A friend of mine rides a Futura and is very happy with it for longer road trips and some sporty riding, or as sporty as it gets in Oklahoma. How far is it to a reputable Aprilia shop from your home? If you favor the lighter or half faired bikes, look hard at the FZ1.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 AM   #4
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Ack! Typo!

Oops, senior moment there, or the first cup of coffee hadn't kicked in yet. Scratch the trophy (out of production anyway) and look at a Sprint ST.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
vritual_stas
Founding Member

I've bought a Futura only after 1 season of riding. It's a wonderful motorcycle, it really can do it all... or most of it, at least. It's not in production any more, but rumors are that the new Futura will be announced by the end of the year.

Contrary to popular belief, Futura is very reliable. It does have couple of common weak spots, however, that you will have to fix right after the purchase to prevent problems - one is fragile plastic quick fuel disconnect that should be either removed whatsoever or replaced with metal QD and a "melting brown connector / regulator" problem. Both glitches are easy to fix and can be done for anywhere from $0 (removing the QD and doing the wiring mod) to $160 (metal QD and new voltage regulator). Other than that - no serious issues and the Rotax engine is believed to be bulletproof.

You can find more information at the Futura forum: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=14
vritual_stas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I went from a Harley Low Rider to a Ducati ST4 so a Futura won't be too much as long as you're wise with the throttle hand.

You'll love having the great V-twin sound with lots more power. Just make sure there is an Aprilia dealer near you.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:32 AM   #7
tumbler
Founding Member

You might throw the Kawasaki z750 in your list too. It is good for the long distance, but you'll want an aftermarket seat.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:35 AM   #8
naco_traficante
Registered Member

The SV650 is a fine commuter bike but I wouldn't buy it with plans to log highway miles. Your pure highway machine would be the Futura, and maybe the best compromise would be the Yamaha FRZ600 depending on how you feel about the Yamaha riding position.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:40 AM   #9
pdad13
Founding Member

"Would the Futura be too much bike seeing that i'm coming off a cruiser?"

Not sure. It sounds like you've got some good experience under your belt, so you might be okay on it. You have to be honest with yourself about your riding skills. Sounds like you'll be fine with a little readjustment period.

The Futura gets praised by everyone, so it certainly sounds like a good choice. Just make sure you can get it serviced. I'll also go with Steve and say a previous generation VFR is probably a better value than the '02-'05 models. Most people love the FZ1, but it does have a pretty serious motor. A Suzuki Bandit 1200 is a great choice, too. A Kawi ZRX-1100 or 1200 would work fine if you can live with less wind protection (the 1200 also has lots of motor, so be warned). Also consider a used or leftover Triumph Sprint ST or RS ('02-'04s). Of course the new STs are great if you're buying new. I recommend an SV1000S, but the ergos are pure sport and, I think. are too extreme for long rides.

An FZ6 is a good bike, although I think you'll prefer a less frantic motor. And the larger bikes will be better for rolling up miles. An SV650 is not as well suited for long rides--the naked model offers no wind protection, and the S has true sportbike ergos. If you want to stay smaller, I might also suggest something like a Suzuki Katana 750--inexpensive, bulletproof, comfy ergos. The styling is a bit controversial, though.

Good luck.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 AM   #10
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Forgot the Kawi Z750S.

Oh, crap, I just saw Tumbler's post: Yes, yes, do check out the Kawi Z750S. It might be perfect for you. I can't believe I forgot it.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote