Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Opinions on do it alls (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2817-opinions-do-alls.html)

jcfritz28 06-01-2005 06:36 PM

Re: Opinions on do it alls

Since you mention history with a sportster, a couple of bikes that, to me, resemble in a small way due to their classic shape - the Honda 919 and the Suzuki Bandit 1200 (unfaired). The 919 may have the edge in handling and lightness (fuel injection too), the Bandit in peak torque (and value). Both make good power. Both have nice classic bits that appeal to me.

Now I know they are inline 4's, and not V's, but their torque over HP may also carry some weight with ya. Dependig on what you mean by do it all, lack of fairing may be issue for long trips or foul weather.

Nplateau 06-01-2005 06:59 PM

I don't understand...

why you believe the the newer VFRs are not an option. Having ridden one, I fell absolutely in love with the newer VFR. Yes the VTEC thing maybe unnecessary technology, but the surge and honk past 7000 rpm (or so) is fan-freaking-tastic. It's a wonderful do-it-all bike. My only concern with the newer VFR is the cost of ownership, as regular maintenance and valve adjustments cost significantly more due to the VTEC.

bod 06-02-2005 03:35 AM

Re: I don't understand...

I agree I have an 02 vfr vtec that i got used for 5500 bucks in great shape have put 5000 miles on it already and it is wonderful I will have to take it in for the valve adjustment this fall ouch I hear its about 500 bucks

Whatmough 06-02-2005 04:35 AM

I rode one back from a dealer to a friends house for him as he hadn't got his license yet. He got it(license), dropped the bike soon after and sold it. I ride a r1150r; but really loved the Futura. It is a sweet bike and fine for someone with a little experience and common sense.

bbtowns 06-02-2005 05:27 AM

You're looking for more power and highway capability, seems like the Futura would be the choice of your 3, wouldn't hurt to sit on one and make sure the completely different ergos from the Sportster work for you.

You've got some good suggestions here, I'd add the Suzuki V-Strom, and echo the suggestions to check out a used BMW, maybe a R1150RS (or the R1100 model), since the newer models are out those should be coming down in price. Good luck.

lcarlson 06-02-2005 06:49 AM

Doesn't sound like you really want a sportbike. The best all-arounder I have ever ridden is the BMW R1150R. With a windshield and factory luggage, it's also an excellent long distance sport-tourer.

12er 06-02-2005 07:16 AM

Futura getting more than 120 miles to the tank or was that just a bunk Futura MO tested?

12er 06-02-2005 07:22 AM

Re: I have a simple solution for that.

Just dont look at your reflection in storefront windows either. Makes my power ranger aerostich look fantastic.

sportriderjed 06-02-2005 07:46 AM

I have an SV1000S and use it for a do-it-all. I put the helibars on which made a huge difference in comfort. I like it alot as a freeway bike, but it really shines in the twisties. You will still only get 120mi/tank though. I think you will see that with most V-twin sport bikes, so if you want to keep the V2 you may have to get fuel more often. Something about the vibration (vs buzzing on an I4) makes the V2 better for long trips in my opinion. I think Sean mentioned that in the BMW review a while back. I hear the FZ6 is buzzy. Anyway, I just like the way the V2 sounds with my micron pipes and the way it makes its powah so I would say go with the Aprilia if you have a dealer closeby.

MikeH 06-02-2005 08:02 AM

or a Triumph Tiger for 1/2 the price of the GS.