Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-01-2005, 05:03 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Opinions on do it alls

The styling is "controversial?" So is Sandra Bernhard's face!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

A guy I know has a 650 V-Strom that he uses for long distance touring two-up with his wife and luggage. He loves it. I wouldn't sell the DL650 short for touring at all.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:22 AM   #13
pplassm
Founding Member

The Suzuki DL650 and 1000 seem to be getting a lot of good press these days. It is a shame they go ignored by most riders.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:23 AM   #14
SRMark
Founding Member

Take a Buell CityX for a test spin. Sporty, cheapish and will keep you on real 'merican hardware. Just don't try riding cross country. You won't believe how much better it is than your old Sporty.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 AM   #15
hughesr
Founding Member

Sounds like you enjoy the torquier sound of twins, by your prior bikes. I would suggest the Suzook SV650 (not the S - with mini fairing) since I found it a good commuter, and with a Memphis windscreen, a good sport touring rig. Plus, TwoBros makes a nice slip-on pipe for it.
hughesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:55 AM   #16
Fenton
Founding Member

I have a 2002 Futura. Easily the most comfortable "sporty" bike I have ridden. The seat is great. The pegs give you 3+ inches more than a VFR. The service at 5k ran me $209 and that included de-restricting the airbox, remapping the FI & a new t-shirt. Next service is an oil change and inspection at 9500. Then a valve check at 12k. All in all, the motor is under-taxed in the Futura state of tune and should prove to be quite dependable.

I'm a big fan of "twin" motors in general. The inlines can easily intimidate riders try to access the upper regions of the power band. It's hard to pick a "bad" bike these days. You can even pick some UGLY good ones. Buy the one you are passionate about.(It won't be your last)
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:10 AM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

Went from a Harley FXR to a 2000 Sprint ST. Couldn't believe how much better it was (afa riding dynamics).

Also, the Sprint has hard bags. They were included in the price for the '03 and '04 models.

There are quite a few folks that prefer the pre-'02 model engine performance and EFI system. I went from the Y2K to an '03 model, and they both run great. I'd love to try out the new one, but my wallet starts to smoke every time I think too long about it.

The Triumphs are damn near bulletproof (touch wood). I've not heard of anyone having problems with any of the models. Sure, there was a recall for plastic fuel fittings, but otherwise I've had the bike at the Dealership only for the 12,000 mile valve adjustment.

Lastly, that Triple sure sounds sweet when "ya gitonit!"

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Somebody's gotta do it....

......and so, since the VFR (older one) and SV650 have already been recommended you should also be sure to check out a Concours.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #19
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Somebody's gotta do it....

Seruzawa you are headed for sainthood in the Church of the Holy Motorcycle Trinity (HMT). Isn't the GPTB associated with HMT? Like the Knights of Columbus with the Roman Catholic Church.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #20
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: Somebody's gotta do it....

More like the Masons and the Roman Catholic Church.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote