Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
kanani
Registered Member

Default Re: Joy of Motorcycling Traffic School: A New Choice for Motorists Who Get a Ticket

1st post,

it would be interesting to see how many of the fatalities are related to lane-splitting.

a proposal to make lane-splitting legal here in WA seems to be stalled in the legislature, with the typical disapproval of the WSP.
kanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
bod
Founding Member

Default Re: Joy of Motorcycling Traffic School: A New Choice for Motorists Who Get a Ticket

Wow! What a great Idea this would beat the crap out of the 8 hr class I took for getting a speeding ticket for going 7 over in which we watched A Movie called something like "Bloody Highway" I could be wrong I suffer from a disease that makes me forget but I forgot what it was called.
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Wow Kalifornia has 10% of the nation's motorcycle fatalities. Of course we also have 10% of the nation's population, and more than likely more than 10% of the nation's motorcycles. Given the fact that 1/3 of the fatalities were unlicensed for motorcycles, I guess that pretty much blows the lane spliting danger arguments of the rest of states in the UassA. It would be refreshing to attend a motorcycle oriented "traffic school" instead of the typical brain washing the rest of the state mandated schools put one through, however. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Great idea. I wish they had something like this in WA state. I have had two tickets on my bike speeding and passing on yellow. Would of been nice to attend something like this rather than pay a fine and points.

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Was that law sponsored by ABATE? My wife worked on a campaign for a state legislator who said that ABATE has a bad rep ( fanatical about repealing the helmet law) wiith WA lawmakers and the WSP. To be honest I don't see how lane splitting gives a great advantage to the Seattle area bike commuter. Given the presence of HOV lanes on I-5, 405, 167, 520, and I-90 I just don't see why it's needed. When I commuted to work I always zipped along in the HOV lane.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
giuliom
Registered Member

I doubt that lane splitting is the problem in California. BTW, we have more than 10% of the population, and we have surely more than 10% of the motorcycles, PLUS, we use them year round. I mean, in Minnesota an average motorcycle gets about 1/5 of the use of a typical California bike. I bet if we did an average of accidents per miles traveled we would do OK. Lane splitting is only a real problem when you insist on lane splittng at 65 mph when the traffic is going 5 mph. If you are careful, it's OK. Most accidents are still of the car turning left in front of you variety (saw one yesterday, unfortunately). If other states do not want lane splitting is just because of an irrational fear, not because of solid data.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Great points. As someone who has never lane splitted and who lives in a non-lane splitting state I have a few questions for you Califorinians. Is lane splitting only permitted on freeways? i.e. do you have lane splitting on surface streets, avenues, etc.

If it is only on the freeways then for Seattle bikers there would be no great advantage IMHO. However, it could come in handy on streets like HWY 99 which is 4 lane avenue with lots of lights and bumper to bumper traffic on occasion. I agree it is probably an irrational fear we have about it...

Old 05-29-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
clively
Founding Member

Texas has a lane splitting law being tossed about in the legislature. Done properly I think it would be a great idea, but I doubt it will ever become law. I wish drivers ed classes taught more about vehicle/energy dynamics as to what happens in a crash instead of boring their attendees with crap filler and war stories about tickets.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:25 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Since Joy Medved managed to get herself onto the "govt guaranteed income for contractors" food chain does that now make her Happy Happy Joy Joy?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:01 AM   #10
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default Re: lane splitting

We can lane split anywhere...I routinely go to the crosswalk at every stop light. I really is not dangerous if you you go just a little faster than the traffic and expect someone to pull out in front of you...I have had it happen a few times and was able to stop without a problem. Of course you need to learn how to "read" what the moronic cagers on cell phones are going to do. I find lane splitting to be a safe and convenient practice on surface streets as well as the freeway. The local CHP says as long as you are generally riding in a controlled manner no more than 15mph faster than the traffic you are passing then you are perfectly legal. I did have one occasion when a CHP motor cop pulled up behind me after I had split lanes pased about 20 cars at a broken stoplight. I thought "here we go" and pulled into the lane ready to pull over for an ass chewing and a ticket but he was just trying to get to the intersection to direct traffic. I have had people watch in the mirror and try to squeeze over so there is no room in the lane for you, but I just wait for the oppportunity and squirt pass them on the other side. I find most people will let you in and give you room while lane splitting.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote