Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-26-2005, 05:58 AM   #11
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default GO electric!

I agree. I commute home at 2am regularly in the low 30s in the winter. I have tried all sorts of things, but there is nothing like heated clothing. Once you try it you will wonder why you suffered all those years. I have found that with the Gerbing electric jacket liner and some polypropelyene thermals I can ride comfortably down to about 25 degrees with regular non perforated gloves. As someone mentioned above if the core body temp stays up, the hands will be warm because the body is not shunting warm blood away from the extremities to maintain core body temp. I tried the gerbing glove liners but didnt need them...maybe someone in MN or something might, but it never gets below 15-20 degrees where I live. Also you need to check the power output of the charging system on your bike. Gerbings was helpful...I just called and they told me what my bikes output was and recommended what to get based on how much power I had available. Very helpful and knowledgeable people. I had no problem returning the glove liners...they didnt even ask why. I never used widder, but Gerbings has excellent customer service.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #12
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Re: I second that

50 degrees AND sometimes it rains. It must just be hell.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:30 AM   #13
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"50 degrees and sometimes it rains" Sounds like July in Seattle. However, replace the "sometimes" with half of the time. The hard core riders here at work (BMW riders mostly with some Gold Wingers) agree with Buzz electric is the way to go.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:55 AM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

I've discovered that an adequate layer of subcutaneous body fat keeps me warm in all but the most adverse weather conditions.

Electrics are for Kali-babys
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well eating my way to 270 lbs is going to cost a lot more than a vest not to mention the drop off in dating activity.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: All weather rider gear?

How do they work when you slap someone in the face and challenge them to a duel?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #17
Tigercub
Founding Member

Lots of good suggestions above. Motorcycle gloves are designed to fit a hand that is gripping a handlebar, so it is curved to fit properly.

Here's a tip. Buy winter gloves one size larger than would normally fit you perfectly. You end up with more space inside the glove, which helps reduce heat transfer. This is done at the loss of some tactile feel, but winter gloves have this trade-off anyway.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #18
pattonme
Founding Member

how about in 20F or below?
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:23 AM   #19
smathai
Founding Member

Aftermarket handle-grip heaters! I installed them on my SV1000S and I can now use my summer gloves all year round! Like many other people who have tried heated handle-grips, I can never own a bike without them anymore.
smathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #20
crevans
Founding Member

Try a middleweight glove, then get some glove liners for colder weather. Layers = Flexibility

I've been pretty happy with a pair of Helimot Buffalo 365s with some thinsulate liners in the winter. The combo seems to work alright from about 20 to 90 degrees fahrenheit, with slight discomfort at either end of that, but I've yet to get frostbite. The gloves without the liners work well from about 55-90, plus they have a great feel to them (deerskin is nice).

If you ride in even colder weather, you really should go electric.

crevans is offline   Reply With Quote