Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: New Technology Lurks...

they will wake a sub 500 pound harley!
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
eekadog
Founding Member

in my dreams.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
johnnyb
Founding Member

the internet will die of boredom and we'll all regress back to like british twins and stuff and be happy to have them as us economy implodes dragging the rest of the world down with it.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Those are good directions MSCUDDY. You ask some really good thought provoking questions

I think bikes will get more electronic stuff as well.

I read on the Superbike Planet site that some competitors are accusing Mladin of having traction control devices on his bike. I can see traction control as something that might be offered on high end touring and sportbike.

I hope automatic transmissions don't make a comeback.....

I would love to see wireless heads up display, because I speed alot, i.e. you go buy a wireless transmitter as a bike option that would send industry standard formatted messages to a helmet receiver that would use some of the new flexible see through LCDs as a visor....Displaying RPM, Gear, Speed, etc... would be handy... I could see folks wanting other things like GPS, text messages pages, etc. I saw a clunky looking thing that did this in the back of CycleWorld but it was bulky and it attached to your visor. The visor needs to be a see through LCD.

Active Suspensions would be cool..

Carbon Fiber frames?? like high-end bicycles...

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
smathai
Founding Member

Heads Up Display:

http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.ns...0317MWECMM.htm

2-Trac (2 wheel drive) system by Yamaha (also pioneered by KTM I believe), and tested on a Yamaha R-1:

http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.ns...4011MIKAZP.htm
smathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
saaz
Registered Member

Traction control on raod bikes has been around for a while. The ST1100 had it in the last models.

The biggest challenge will be translating all this new technology into usable road bikes in a world of increasingly stringent emissions controls and congested roads.

I think active suspension control and getting power to the road in a controlled fashion (traction and stability) will be key areas. But in mnay ways people will think the bikes to be more boring (even though potentially a lot faster). Exciting bikes (ie with faults) will not be around.

I remember a quote from a Yamaha engineer saying that the changes to Rossi's bike made it faster, more controllable etc etc, but this would not be done for the road bikes as people want exciting bikes.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Yep that's the heads up display I saw. A good first edition of a product I guess. I little clunky. I want something more integrated....
Old 04-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
TomSmith
Founding Member

It's obvoius. Futurbikes will have roll cages, air bags and hydrogen/fuelcell/solarcell/electric motors just before they are banned forever, just like cars.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

With all of the pandemonium about squids and sports bikes, those who govern us will soon come up with an assault type bike ban on every thing with high foot pegs and clipons. With sport bikes outlawed all of the former knee dragging crowd will be forced to ride cruisers that skirt the ban by having ape hangers, and forward controls, but with 190 hp inline fours. This will prompt a quantum leap in cruiser riding attire with the advent of Snell approved half helmets, kevlar fringed jackets, and ass protectors to be worn underneath the Levis (TM) of assless chaps wearers. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"This will prompt a quantum leap in cruiser riding attire with the advent of Snell approved half helmets, kevlar fringed jackets, and ass protectors to be worn underneath the Levis (TM) of assless chaps wearers. "" LOL Classic VWW Don't forget the decorative arm chaps for the kevlar vest crowd....