Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #31
yo-me-mo
Founding Member

Default Re: New Technology Lurks...

cruise control for less than 17,000 dollars.
yo-me-mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #32
YakMaster
Founding Member

It is fascinating to watch all this new tech and prices go up. What good is new tech when the old tech on every bike still brings a new tech to the ground on a regular basis.

A $1 part, as critical as a wheel, allows almost all bikes to just roll over and play dead. The kick stand. How many can be simply locked into position?

At a minimum, I say, every bike needs a center stand, and the center stand needs to be powered if it canÂ’t be lowered easily by someone weighing less than the bike.

ThatÂ’s my $2 worth

YakMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:13 AM   #33
xlr8r
Founding Member

I'd love to see all these technologies on a bike, but it seems to me that whenever manufacturers take a step forward the bike-buying public stay away. It's over twenty years since BMW introduced across-the-range fuel injection on the K bikes, but it took more than a decade for anyone else to follow their lead. It's over ten years since the same company introduced the frameless bike in the R11 series, liberating us from what are basically beefed-up 19th-Century bicycle frames, and at the same time a front end which separated braking and suspension forces. Neither have been taken up by other manufacturers, though both are real steps forward. Companies like Scott and Vincent went out of business by being radical and progressive, and that's why Buell struggle, too. And before you all claim that you'd all support technological advance if it was offered to you, look at the ABS debate on MO last week. And weep. Meanwhile, H-D make zillions selling shiny dinosaurs. And talking of H-D, how come nobody else has adopted hydraulic lifters, a real low-maintenance benefit? Nope, I'm conivnced that motorcyles are going backwards: probably because that's the way most people like 'em, despite their claims to the contrary.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #34
KLRer
Founding Member

Electric-gas hybrids probably on the near horizon--10 years maybe. Acceleration better, gas mileage incredible, still make a little noise.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:28 AM   #35
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Auto-wheelie buttons and air-bag 'Stich suits.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:25 AM   #36
christian_gates
Founding Member

I've read that in F1 traction control causes engine reliability problems - really good TC might not be reasonable in a street motor for the same reasons. That being said, F1 engines are tuned so aggressively that the slightest additional stress could knock them out of whack.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:44 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You could make a hole in your inflatable seat and have someone to spend the night with after a long day riding. Put some lipstick on it while you're at it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:45 AM   #38
tumbler
Founding Member

Hopefully adjustable ergos, on even budget bikes. Some BMW bikes I have seen have this. I hope it trickles down.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:56 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I don't know. I thought his post was exceptionally upbeat for JB. He must have upped the dosage.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:10 AM   #40
jungkvist
Founding Member

Yeah, but somehow a hp V-twin seems a bit more sane than 170hp In-line 4. I can't remember, does the Monster have handlebars or clip-ons? Handlebars and an upright riding position make more sense, because you have more leverage and you can see better.