Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-28-2005, 02:50 AM   #1
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: I refuse to buy custom leathers online!

I don't know about Vanson, but Bates will send you a card so you can go into your local tailor or seamstress and have your measurements taken. You're still dealing with phone/mail/web ordering, but the end result is all good.

They made a jacket for my wife that way and the fit is perfect. If you've ever helped a woman shop for motorcycle gear, you know that a perfect fit doesn't just happen.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Vanson does the same as Bates, and I am certain other custom suitmakers do as well. On the other hand, if you are really nervous about it, you can always use it as an excuse for a ROAD TRIP! to your chosen suitmaker!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:03 AM   #3
Vlad
Registered Member

I have experience with Vanson, and they do a great job. I have heard excellent things about Bates and Z Custom as well.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

Nutsosane, I'm 6'3", 210lbs. I wear a 45-46 long dress coat. I would really recommend taking a look at the Roadgear Jacket from my first post. The XL fits me great with the liner in, and there is plenty of room with it removed.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #5
200cc
Registered Member

Call Z Leathers at 714-890-5721. These are the people who actually worked at Bates leathers before Bates was bought out. They are superior quality to Bates and they understand custom fit and road racing protection. They also cost less than Bates.They are 100% made on the premisies so custom alterations are no problem, they are very good about alterations and won't try to convince you that the suit fits when it doesn't . More than I can say for their competition.
200cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
abogado
Registered Member

Where are you?

Helimot is great (the best in my opinion) and in the bay area.
abogado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:18 AM   #7
woolf
Founding Member

i am 250lbs 6'0" use bates always a great fit had some z leathers which did not last sill have bates boots & leathers that are 30yrs old

by the way some of bates emp have been with for the 30yrs i have got leathers from them
woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
nolaandy
Founding Member

Another vote for Bates. They've been doing longer than any of the other's mentioned. I bought my first Bates jacket in 1967. It lasted a long, long time.
nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

I am 6-5 and I had my leathers made by Barnicle Bill in Alabama. I had a seamstress take the critical measurements and I can say they fit like a glove. Much better quality than any thing I see @ the track. He charged me a little extra though, as he had to kill a small calf because one cow was'nt enough. Don't know if he's still around. Try Google
Old 04-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Neal
Founding Member

Im 5-11 220 lbs with an "uncommon " shape. Off the shelf just dont work, i ordered a custom 2 piece Dirt track suit from Advanced Leathers in Md. he sent a detailed measurement diagram and form. my wife measured me.......leathers fit great. i wouldnt hesitate to order leathers from a reputable company by mail or online.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote