Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-26-2005, 07:17 AM   #21
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: More of the same on Angeles Crest...

While I've never ridden Palomar, or Angles Crest, I have read about them quite a bit in different publications (car and bike mags). They sound like great scenic and twisty roads. But the sticks in my throat thing is they never want to clamp down on the cars, which (again from what I've read) is a big problem also.

The problem is they don't want to enforce the existing laws, and they don't want to institute any form of traffic calming devices. I do sympathize with the residents who have live with the annoyance of speeders. They want a safe place to live. But start with enforcing the existing laws on everybody. Hell, if its that great of a road to ride on, install toll booths and charge a fee to non-residence users, and still enforce the existing laws.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #22
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yet another side effect of over population.

LetÂ’s say that you have 10,000 people. 8000 of these people are living well within the bounds of decency. 1000 are kind of screwy, 500 are off their rocker, with the remaining 500 completely out of control, miscreants, nut jobs, etc.

Now put that thinking into the over three million people who inhabit Los Angeles. I come up with over half a million screwballs. Factor in no public transportation, and 90% of these folks are behind the wheel (or handlebars) at any given time, day or night.

Since I live a stones throw away from the venerable Angeles Crest, and have so all my life, to me "the Crest" has always attracted a fringe element. People who want to dispose of corpses, pot farmers, sports car drivers, and yes, motorcycles.

Use the equation I presented above and youÂ’ll see that it will only get worse. The cops are just playing off the suckers who still drive/ride like madmen in "the Crest" and exact a large amount of $$$ to fill their coffers via fines, penalties and forfeitures. Like sharks in a school of carp.

Anyone with any sense quit riding like mad in the Crest long ago, and if they did, did it judiciously, with care.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:35 AM   #23
TomSmith
Founding Member

He's right, you don't need 180hp on the Crest Rd to have fun. I rode the Angeles Crest highway a lot in'49-'52. We kept in our lane and didn't go over the speed limit on straightaways. It was all about cornering. I knew a guy who was killed in '80 on a head-on with another bike on the Crest - they were both on the double yellow line. Keeping in your lane makes it tougher, safer and feeling faster. When I rode the Angeles Crest, there weren't any residents. By the way, I have about 10,000 miles real racing experience (drags, desert, flat track, etc) including 2 years as a professional. In case you think I'm too conservative, my career essentially ended in '52 at Bonneville due to a 150mph get-off wearing a speedo, helmet and tennis shoes. I am the reason you have to wear leathers at Bonneville.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 AM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You sir, are a legend. I have a picture of you (is it you?) displayed in my garage, laying prone, feet pointed back, wearing a speedo and half-helmet.

Right next to the picture of Wild Bill and the Road Dog.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #25
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Not unless his name is Rollie Free. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

I see that you are another one of those people who believes in black helicopters and that police would actually write tickets just to generate revenue. When's your next militia meeting? Obviously you are insane.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:03 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

No, not write tickets to generate revenue, but "go where the action is". Revenue is but a side attraction.

Fine with me, ticket and seize the idiots vehicles, no skin off my nose (except for having to ride three hours one way to get away from them).

BTW I've stayed away from the crest on weekends for the few last decades. Weekdays are Ok, but WTF?

Gee, Doctor, where's the love?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh, sorry. I thought that we were supposed to start gratuitously insulting anyone who posts anything that might upset anyone who is only here to chill out.

While I haven't gone to the Rock Store since 1989 I have to admit that the last time I was in LA (a couple of years ago) I rode the loop up Tujunga to Mt Wilson and buzzed around the Crest on a fine July Thursday. Saw only a couple of dozen cars and not one single cop. Although with the huge dropoffs I can't imagine why anyone would even want to wring out a 150HP motorcycle.

The ride up Topanga is pretty open on weekdays too. Didn't see Joni Mitchell, though. Didn't see her in 1965 either come to think of it.

Wasted any hot new 4-strokes with yer ancient obsolete CR500 lately? Maybe if we say it over and over enough times 4-strokes will become superior race weapons.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 PM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think that you are just the meanest guy in the whole world. You ruined my whole day. Now I'm going to cry the rest of the day because of a meanie like you. I bet you even pick the wings off flies and torture them!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

Where's tumbler when we need him? your friend is clearly anther Utah loonie who doesn't know 650's are girls bike. It's impossible to have fun on anything but the largest newest motorcycle a manufacturer makes. A 650 would be so hopelessly under powered unless it was chipped-jetted de-airboxed and piped that it couldn't get out of it's own way, let alone haul someone to Seattle and back.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote