Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Desirability of ABS brakes

MO pretty much answered your question. If you want to be able to grab a handful and stop and not have to learn the nuances of non-abs motorcycle braking (and have your arse saved in a panic situation when all training and visions of being Rossi on the brakes goes out the door), go for it. If you plan on developing more sport oriented riding skills then manual braking is the answer. IMO, ABS is a good option for the average rider. For the rider who has the time and desire to practice the more intricate details of braking then ABS isnÂ’t as desirable. As with most motorcycle debates, first make an accurate assessment of your riding style and needs and then make your decision.

And uh...first post you MOFO's.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
nweaver
Founding Member

In straight line braking, ABS on dry pavement loses to a good rider by ~2%. On crappy conditions, ABS beats expert riders by 50%+. There have been plenty of tests of this.

ABS can easily save your ass in a panic situation: traffic goes to hell, deer comes jumping out, whatever... Having once locked the front end (and saved it: released the brake and squeezed to a halt, this was during braking practice), feeling the bars go dead, the black streak on the pavement, and the brown streak in my undies.

True, it can't save your ass in a turn, but for straight line braking, it can't be beat. I took a test ride on a R1200Gs today, I did a quick test of 30 MPH braking. The road was wet, and cruddy. But those brakes, fully applied, can have you singing castrati even in cruddy conditions, without hastle or fuss, just a bit of chirping gitters as the bike retro rockets.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
peter_anon
Registered Member

What will you be doing with the bike? Most of my riding is commuting in traffic at moderate to high speed. Being able to stop rapidly in crappy conditions, or changed conditions due to construction, makes ABS my choice. YMMV, etc.

peter_anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

While it is true that ABS will stop you quicker in conditions where traction is marginal, it is also true that ABS may give you a false sense of security, and you may find yourself going faster than the poor conditions might otherwise dictate. I have owned many motorcycles, none of which had ABS, and have managed to survive. My advice to you would be to get a dirt bike, and practice as much as possible in low traction conditions. You will not only learn how to instinctively control your bike during those unexpected times when your tires suddenly lose their grip, but you will also learn to SLOW DOWN when experience tells you that traction conditions have deteriorated. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
bfulmer
Founding Member

Unless your on a track with predictable pavement then ABS is the way to go. ABS only "lets go" of the brakes when the tires are starting to skid and ABS brakes systems are approx 95% efficient. One thing you have to consider is that when these people report stopping distance numbers, they do it on a specific section of track. The surface is very predictable and they take practice runs to achieve the excellent stopping distance numbers. No need to practice for the ABS stops. They are also very good test riders and test bikes for a living. I don't think you have the luxury of practice stops and advanced knowledge of the surface conditions on the street. No practice runs on an unfamiliar surface, ABS will win everytime. In fact, I would challenge any rider to beat ABS on an unfamiliar road, one stop, no practice. ABS may not be good for the track, but its great for the street.
bfulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
Grum
Registered Member

I'd like to complement you on an intelligent and balanced response. But why did you leave your First Post claim till the end? Get your priorities right.

"... make an accurate assessment of your riding style ..." as if! No new rider ever thinks he'll strive to be a conservative "average" rider (for whom ABS would be excellent)

I'm old enough to know I'm conservative, but that's after 30 years of constant riding in Australian conditions and still being alive. ABS would have saved one or two frank and intimate rendezvous with the bitumen but it was common sense and experience that saved me all the other times.

A bike with ABS is better than a bike without. A rider with maturity, training and a strong sense of self-preservation is better still.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
Grum
Registered Member

Very good point. Agree wholheartedly.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
motonut_1
Founding Member

The shortest stopping distances are executed when the brakes are braking just short of locking up. Expert riders on dry pavement with a non-ABS bike "may" be able to better the stopping distances of an ABS equipped bike. However, once the pavement is at less than ideal conditions, it's no contest, ABS wins every time.

That being said, you should still practice your braking skills so that you can make maximum stops without engaging the ABS (it shouldn't become a crutch to good braking skills). Learn to feel your brakes. And the better your front tire, the shorter you'll be able to stop regardless of whether you have ABS or not.

One of the real advantages of ABS comes when you have been riding for some distance in the rain without using your brakes. The brake pucks absorb some water and the first time you have to use them, they've lost their feel. If you have ABS, you can just "grab a handful" (if you need to) and the ABS will take care of you. The brakes will burn the water off the pucks and then grab, but the ABS will kick in and your stop will be controlled.

I personally don't understand why Peter Egan decided to opt out of buying his Ducati ST4 without ABS although he did mention that he was saving $800 and that seemed to be the goal. Get the lowest price, regardless.

If you aren't planning to roadrace your bike and can afford the ABS premium, I'd say go for it. You won't be sorry.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Mooner
Founding Member

O.K. Glad to see most of the responses so far seem to be well thought out. After having owned bikes with out abs, and owning one with, I say get the abs for street use. Bottom line is that unless you are a racer and know how to be ON the brakes (and even then it is debatable) abs will save your ass in a panic situation. Modern bikes with abs still have wonderful brake feel, and although you won't feel the abs engagement in the same way you do in your car, you will feel it kick in, and you can still react in the same way you might ifn' you didn't have them.

By the way, for those of you that have more experience than I.... If you never come to the point of losing traction, the abs will not engage right??? So if optimal braking occurs *just* before lock up, aren't we really splitting hairs about the best riders being able to outbrake in predictable situations since "in theory" if you don't lock it up, it won't engage????

I can imagine (and have felt to some extent)that there is some point that is not a total "lock up". Are the anti-lock brakes reacting to this, while the human that knows the feel in the same situation would act differently????
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

I think a non-linked, non-power assisted ABS would be great on a bike. My only experiance with M/C ABS was on an '02 R1150RT and I didn't care for it at all. It seemed to me that I couldn't modulate or trail brake like I usually do. I did try a couple of practice panic stops in the wet and dry and in those situations the ABS was a definate plus with good controllable straight line stops everytime. However the other 99% of the time I felt the set-up was intrusive and didn't really fit my riding style. That coupled with the surging and overall top heavy feel of the bike made it not much fun.

I realise that's specific to that particular bike and make, and I think the concept is good I just didn't like the execution. From an automotive standpoint I wouldn't have a car without it.

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote