Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-24-2005, 02:50 AM   #11
peter83
Founding Member

Default Re: Desirability of ABS brakes

Hi GerardG,

I just spent a half hour trying to find Yossef's report on an Italian bike with ABS, that he said was better than the test riders. I thought it was the ABS ST4, but could only find the US ride report.

Obviously not all ABS are created equal, and newer ones are more refined. I commute 15,000 miles a year on an R6, and there have been a few times I wished I had ABS. It is a priority for my next commuter bike.

peter83
peter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2005, 04:23 AM   #12
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: SWITCHABLE ABS

I would like to have ABS with an ON/OFF option.

The only time I would want the ABS on would be when riding in the rain, when it would be an advantage in a sudden emergency.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #13
kwh
Founding Member

Surely you would want to have it turned on by default, so that only if you had time to assess the quality of the road surface and make an informed decision to brake without the ABS would you want to turn it off. "I could have stopped a yard and a half quicker without ABS" will always trump "If I'd had ABS I wouldn't have crashed when the front wheel locked and slid out". ABS is good in the wet, but also if there's an unexpected gravel-wash or slick patch of tar in your path when the emergency unexpectedly occurs in front of you....
Old 04-24-2005, 05:20 AM   #14
edward44
Founding Member

MO sez, no sweat, just broadslide that mutha on dry pavement . Hell, real flat trackers never even had brakes. Demo please. And don't run that clip of Burns and the scoot incident.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:40 AM   #15
bfulmer
Founding Member

This is a little complicated to explain but I'll try my best. The first thing you have to understand that tires experience "slip" every time you brake or acclerate (or turn for that matter). During braking, the presence of slip means that the tire is going a little slower the an unbraked tire. The level of slip depends on how hard you are braking. 100% slip the tire is locked and skidding, 0% slip the tire is "free rolling". For low slip values, the tire tread is actually being stretched at the tire-road contact. At higher slip values the rubber starts to skid across the road. Peak traction on concrete/asphalt occurs somewhere around 12% slip. So maximum braking occurs when both tires are at around 12% slip and stay there for the whole stop. The problem is that the tire is very unstable and non-linear at this peak slip value. Brake any harder and the traction will start to drop off and the tire will quickly go to lock. You have to be very good to maintain slip at this value. ABS will actually operate around this peak value most of the time and will actually cycle around the peak. Its about 95% efficient in doing this thus a perfect non-abs stop can still beat it. Its EXTREMELY hard to make this perfect stop!!! So in conclusion, ABS want's to operate at the same slip values as the expert, practiced, rider. So if you on a track and can hit the 12% every time on both tire simultaneously. ABS will not help. Any other situation, is a lifesaver.
bfulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:07 AM   #16
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Looks like we have some really well thought out responses by some experienced folks. Instead of get involved in a technical debate, I would ask you what kind of riding that you plan on doing and what kind of climate you live in. If you plan on commuting and live in a rainy climate then by all means get ABS. If you are only going to ride your bike on the weekends and canyon carve (like me) then I would say you don't need it. If you plan on track riding then don't get it. The question becomes becomes more critical when you talk about LBS (Linked Brake System) which links the back and front together like a car.....Linked ABS is probably the thing you want in a commuting bike in a rainy climate. It's probably the last thing you want in a track oriented sport bike.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #17
bfulmer
Founding Member

I'd wager that 95% of the sport bike sold never see the track. Assuming that this is true, then why not recommend ABS? Yes, in a controlled, predictable situation you may beat ABS if your an expert. For us mere mortals logging mile on the street, I think its extremely useful. Even if someone never rides in the rain they still may see gravel, oil, tar, rain grooves, broken pavement, bumps..... ABS will provide 95% maximum braking under all conditions. ABS makes you an expert every time, no matter the situation.
bfulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #18
xlr8r
Founding Member

R1100GS's had switchable abs. At least, they did on this side of the Atlantic...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #19
crackerdaddy
Founding Member

It's obviously a personal choice, at least at this point. Hopefully it will not be the only choice any time soon. Will traction control be next?

No thanks for me. I prefer less complexity, weight and expense, and I like being able to service my own bike.
crackerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
kowalke67
Founding Member

I was so caught up in the moment of my self-indulgent commentary I misaligned my priorities. I will give the first post its due respect in the future.