Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #21
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Fix a gas tank?

keep it there about 6 more years, u will need it i'm guessing...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #22
Tigercub
Founding Member

JB - Try this first. Try to find out exactly where the leak is. Did the tank split all of a sudden or did the Kreem that was plugging the hole crack. You might be able to dissolve the Kreem and reseal the hole. Go to the hardware store and buy some MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). That is the solvent that is used to dissolve the Kreem. Dump about half a pint in there and slosh it around good. Let the tank sit and slosh again. Try to dissolve as much of the Kreem as possible and let it recoat the tank. At this point you may want to add more Kreem to plug the hole if that is what the Kreem had been doing the last 10 years. Then let the MEK evaporate out of there - all of it.

So, when none of this works use the MEK to dissolve all the old Kreem out of the tank. Then you will need to braze the hole or take it to a welder. It's actually not hard to braze yourself, but that's up to you.

Re-Kreem the tank and you're good to go. The guys who had trouble with Kreem, probably didn't let the stuff dry.

By the way, MEK is about the worst solvent to mess with. It's flammable, toxic and eventually causes cancer. That's why it works so well!! Have fun.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Even better (I did this BTW) pour a good dose of lead shot & MEK (or Diesel) into the tank.

Duct tape the tank to an electric BBQ rotiseri (SIC) and let it spin for about three days.

The insides will be polished to a high luster. You can now proceed with the stop-leak goop.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #24
johnnyb
Founding Member

i knew i could count on u people. anybody ever fill one with rocks and hamsters and strap it in a paint shaker for a week? anybody?

How does an srx full of lead sound spinning on a wroticery after the first couple days?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #25
macmanjim
Founding Member

I fixed a gas tank on a GPz 750 that had been kreemed and it still rusted next to the seams. I had the tank dipped and blasted and soldered the holes. I then got gas tank sealer from The Eastwood Company. it worked great.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #26
nitrofly
Founding Member

Fill it with bleach and weld that fsucker.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #27
SRMark
Founding Member

I've tried the hamsters but never thought to mix in some rocks. The hamster pee loosens up kreem real good though.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #28
obandoj
Founding Member

The secret to success with Kreem is to follow the directions to the x degree, you have to de-grease the tank with great care , then you have to leave the first step in the tank until the rust is completely gone, then and only then you use the MEK second step, and you have to do it very carefully and make sure the stuff coats every inch of the tank, after that comes the hard work, you put the Kreem in and swirl the stuff for many hours ( as many as 12) until you get a very even coat inside the tank, you have to turn the tank on it's sides, upside down, right side up, and repeat until you are sick of it, then and only then will the Kreem work, sounds like lots of work? Sure, does it work? You bet! I have tanks that were coated in that manner 20 years ago and the stuff is still working, you take a short cut on the process and as they say in NY foggetaboutit!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #29
skeenut
Founding Member

Johnny B:

How'd you ever make out withthat SRX-6.

Jeff
skeenut is offline   Reply With Quote