Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Why get in a wad about what they think?

I'm glad you brought that up. If you've got about 500lbs of bike and rider travelling at 150MPH and they broadside a small car like, say, a Cavalier they are very likely to kill or seriously injure someone. The sort of people that the original poster is describing aren't the sort of people who would listen to your or my arguments that their behavior is a serious danger to others on pulic roads where there is traffic. The usual attitude I hear is that somehow these stuntaz types somehow are entitled to this criminal behavior.

I fear that these irresponsible fools are going to do something spectacularly ugly that will result in something I'd hate to see like horsepower limits. I wish there was some way to get through to these attention seeking clowns.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Ummm. There isn't a shortage of younger women who prefer older guys. You might be surprised how many there are. Unfortunately for me I taught my wife to shoot and bought her a .357.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #23
sarnali
Founding Member

As a newly single middle aged guy, I'd like to encourage any young ladys who are interested in older guys to drop by for some motorcycle riding, fun and frolic.....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

and don't forget, they're so skilled that they're safer on one wheel than most of us are on two!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #25
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: speaking of the devil...

have you guys seen that harley commercial..."it's different when you're riding a harley"
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #26
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Lots of what you said made sense, but...

I've hung out with some pretty insane geniuses (150+ IQs) so brain power might not be what it's cracked up to be....unless throwing a box of 22 shells into a fire is your idea of sane. That wasn't me; I test at the mid-130s...used to climb maple trees and have a friend cut them down (now, that's stupid). Okay, being the child of two athletes, reflexes and reaction time probably allowed me to push my luck, more than most...still, it's a miracle I'm around.

For most males, being young and stupid is built into their genetic code...guess Mother Nature is a feminist (who knew). So, my take on things is, if you have the skills and training to do it, go ahead. But, please, pick an out of the way place to ride; I don't want to be envolved. I did things when I was young that I would kill my kids for doing, but I never took out a loan for $10,000 to do it and I tried to never envolve anyone else. Running with sissors might put your eye out but doing wheelies on a congested street can get you decapitated...and kill an innocent by-stander.

Maybe having a graduated motorcycle license would be a good idea. If you want to ride a sportbike - how 'bout, you have to test on one..."Okay, Skippy, let's see you bang-down four gears, before entering that-there hairpin, then exit at pretty close to full-throttle. We just wanna see how you deal with the rear-end stepping out. Oh yeah, almost forgot, we threw some gravel on the track; that won't be a big deal for someone like you, will it?" The cost could be absorbed by allowing spectators and charging admission. Whaddaya figure it's worth, to see a bunch of ****y teenagers get creamed? I'd pony up $10.00 for that; add concessions and you've got a real money-making proposition. Hell, the videos, alone, would make a fortune.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #27
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: I must be getting old!

I couldn't agree with you more. Small, light, low displacement twins and singles pack plenty of low end torque and their lower weight, with the right bike geometry, generally results in an agile and flickable ride.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #28
fdavis
Founding Member

I agree with everthing you've said. I actually remember a guy saying "its my road" when confronted about some stupid riding.... sheesh! So arrogant it makes me want to puke.

BTW, I am a mid-40's adrenaline junkie with an FZ1, ZX7, ZX10 and F2. I understand the thrill of riding hard but choose to keep myself in check on public roads (I pick the places to have fun and turn up the wick) and do an occasional track day. Even in my earlier days I had an underlying respect for others' use of the road.
fdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #29
flying_hun
Founding Member

Hmmm, reminds of the Sacramento chapter of HOG that was blocking CA 128 on Saturday: little speed and less control (in some cases). They were holding up the cagers. Squids aren't the only ones who are a danger to themselves and others.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #30
nadimnabil
Founding Member

I agree that there are many young riders who may be irresponsible. In fact during my motorcycle safety course the stories of 600cc super bikes and huge harleys purchased as first bikes(by young and old) and the tales of crashing these bikes in parking lots exchanged during the class by some of the more intellectually challenged participants explained why so many idiots get hurt on motorcycles. In fact one kid discussed how he had just had his 600 katana repainted due to a 20 mph parking lot crash. He then proceeded to drop his 250cc bike the next day of the class. The only point your article missed was that there is a large amount of older first time riders who are just as stupid on large displacement cruisers as 22 year old kids on r-6's.
nadimnabil is offline   Reply With Quote