Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #11
TEvo
Registered Member

Default Re: Why get in a wad about what they think?

Yeah, but they be jacking up our insurance rates.

`00 SV65
TEvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
TEvo
Registered Member

Default Re: I must be getting old!

The older you get, the faster you were. Or something like that.

Good story.

Hey, a couple years back, when Reg Pridmore and Jason Pridmore offered 2-up rides at their respective schools. I learned a thing or two about smooth, precise... and fast riding.

I wasn't too proud to hitch a ride with Reg. Pretty cool passing other A-group riders while riding b*tch.

`00 SV65
TEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The wobling and droping sounds like something Prez Clinton used to do to his interns.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
jjasper
Founding Member

Not just old guys. I am only 30 but ever since I started riding about 8 years ago I have always tried to ride safe. I actually went from a larger bike purchased out of inexperience to smaller more agile bikes. Now I am of the mindset that anything crazier than an SV-650 is too much bike for me. It could go fast enough to land me in jail or the morgue. I now ride a BMW 650 single with ABS as it is even more tame (and comfy) than my SV was.

In eight years I have never wrecked, never scared myself, never been out of control, and all my passengers have enjoyed their motorcycle time and a few of my friends took up motorcycling because of how much I enjoyed it, they don't ride crazy either.

I think it is more about having respect for the realities and dangers of riding. Those with limited brain power tend not to live in reality.

jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I didn't start riding a motorcycle until I was over the age of 30. In retrospect, I'm really glad I was forced to wait; financially speaking. And speaking only for myself, it would probably have meant my maiming or death if I had gotten a motorcycle at the age of 25 or less. That was about the age I pretty much quit thinking with my...er well you could probably guess. The testosterone-fueled philosophy of life I used to have would have been my downfall for sure. Now that I am an "old fart", I truly enjoy my riding experiences for what they are instead of them becoming an extension of my former way of thinking. But the old saying, "you can't be old and wise unless you are first young and stupid" is true to a point. I'm just glad I wasn't young and stupid with a motorcycle at my disposal. Just an old fart's opinion.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #16
jungkvist
Founding Member

I've been hoping that things like GSX-R1000s might make-up for not needing a license to reproduce. Sure, insurance rates may go up, but sometimes you have to pay a price for a better world. Just think about it; if enough young dumb-guys keep killing themselves off, maybe some of us old guys will be more marketable to the younger ladies.

The way I figure, if squids are anything in bed like they are in the saddle, what good can they possibly be? After all, if all you can do is be quick and stop...

Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #17
fdavis
Founding Member

I kinda agree with you except when they kill an innocent bystander or emotionally scar someone when they waste themselves.
fdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #18
eekadog
Founding Member

Default In Hawaii...last month

this rider either pulling a wheelie or hitting the accelerator too hard (depends on who you ask) dumped this girl off of the back of his bike on the freeway...resulting in major road rash and a broken leg for her...he supposedly stopped to check if she was alive and then he booked it. what a dipstick.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #19
eekadog
Founding Member

thankfully for you, that certain little blue pill exists, because you can't go too far on a hyperbike with a flat tire.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #20
Velociraptor
Registered Member

I also rode on the back with Reg Pridmore and learned a lot. I save the speed for the track where most squids fear to tread! Smooth riding catches lots of calamari
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote