Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikers lead police on chase

This is an example of a bad law leading to outrageously reckless behavior on the part of the motorists involved and the police giving chase; it's only fortune that prevented this from being a tragedy.

The laws against exceeding the posted speed limit are, in my opinion (although strongly supported by statistical analysis), among the worst that we have in the United States. The only times I think that speed limits are reasonably subject to rigid enforcement is in densely populated, purely residential neighborhoods.

I agree that a Suburban travelling at 65 - regardless of the speed limit - is far, far more of a threat to public safety than a motorcycle travelling at 90. Simple physics demonstrate the point in terms of both energy, momentum, and capability of avoidance of an obstacle.

Absurd.

That being said, while I am in favor of civil disobedience, there are probably more constructive avenues for social change than running from the police.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

"Frankly they're putting themselves and all other motorists on the road at risk."

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed - and hence clamorous to be led to safety - by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. ~ Henry Louis Mencken

They are 'putting themselves at risk'? "We're from the government, and we're here to save you from yourself." Gag me with a spoon.

"We've got better things to do than play with these guys."

Yeah right. Hey buddy, nobody's holding a gun to your head to apprehend a few bikes going 15 over (especially ones that could be doing double that in a matter of seconds.) More likely, it was the the highlight of these cops' week, month, and probably year.

I say anyone riding a sportbike at under 100mph is excersizing a commendable level of restraint.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I can't help but wonder what kind of 2003 Yamaha "750" that was. I'd be inclined to show up in court and ask for details from the officer, before demonstrating the complete lack of 2003 Yamaha 750's.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
MRALLCAPS
Founding Member

Default DAT'Z WHY YOU SHOULD GET 1000 CC'Z!

I WOULDN'T STOP FOR NO PO-LICE UNLEZZ I WUZ RIDIN' A LITTLE SISSIE BIKE LIKE A 750 AND I KNEW I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET AWAY.

I DO HAVE TO PAY MAXIMUM RESPECT TO THE GUY WHO STOPPED AND THEN PULLED A WHEELIE AFTER SHE PULLED HIM OVER! EXTRA POINTZ FOR INVOLVING HIZ GIRLFRIEND IN A HIGH-SPEED CHASE AS WELL.

MRALLCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I also find the first paragraph interesting.

Maybe it was spring fever. Or maybe it was the challenge of testing police officers.

Is it beyond plausability that some of them just didn't want to get caught and put through the wringer? Especially for something that, by any measure, presented little risk to anyone else?

Even the guys I know who have run certainly don't go looking to bait cops and get in chases for fun.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

That was pointed out on our local message board as well.....I'd love to see that model.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
ccd3
Founding Member

Yep- everyone on litre bikes got away. I'm trading-up.
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
johnnyb
Founding Member

Hey if a cop tries to stop a car, does every car in the pack stop? Y they expect every bike in a group to stop? On group rides i say last guy should stop and take one for the team. Unless last guy is me then it's every dog for hisself...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

"Frankly they're putting themselves and all other motorists on the road at risk."

Yeah right, I wonder if the public "servant" spewing that drivel offered any thoughts on the public endangerment commited by the pursuing officers in their 4,000 pound patrol cars. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
jeburk
Founding Member

Dunno, but I bet it could do 205... things work differently here in Minnesota.
jeburk is offline   Reply With Quote