Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-01-2005, 10:03 AM   #41
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikers lead police on chase

Unlike shooting at a cop, speeding by a competent driver in a capable vehicle endangers nobody, or at the very least, endangers nobody any more than the rest of the brain-dead drivers out there with their SUVs that might be driving to the letter of the law yet are a hazard every time they get behind the wheel.

And actually, yes, a cop shouldn't shoot back if a bystander might get injured. That's an accepted hazard of the job. If cops are uncomfortable with this they can seek other employment. Preferably in the private sector.

Seems people nowdays see the law as an end unto itself. The purpose or spirit of the law is irrelevant, some government legislators decided everyone needs to conform to their rules and dammit, they're going to do it if we have to get cops to cuff them, stuff them, throw them in jail, or even shoot them, if we have to. And the pleebs out there will love us for saving them from all the bad people.

Obeying the law is not an absolute. Illegitimate, unfair, unjust, or selectively enforced laws are ripe for disobedience, and the the patriot has not only a right but a duty to disobey in defense of liberty.

America was founded upon disobedience.

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #42
tumbler
Founding Member

Never said or implied it was illegal, just an incredibly bad idea...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #43
tumbler
Founding Member

Don't break traffic laws and they won't make their quotas. You are just not pointing out injustices, your justifying doing what YOU think is okay. I like speeding on my bike and I accpet the punishment I may get for not saving it for the track. If you want to write traffic laws, run for office. Writing to paper really isn't taking a stand. Neither is posting here...
Old 04-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #44
solar1
Registered Member

Hehe- one of the BEST pieces of advice I ever got regarding tickets was to keep my hands visible and not to mess with anything- either on my bike or in my car- especially at night. It takes patience but if I just wait for the cop and dont look like I am trying to hide anything I get a warning or a no point citation. Its amazingly effective.
solar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #45
johnnyb
Founding Member

Wow nice work BMW4Vwhatever. excellent esplanation, 2 bad typical american attention span anymore is too short to appreciate your points. Keep going and you see how prison population in California has positively Exploded in last decade or so...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #46
tumbler
Founding Member

You just want to do whatever you want to do and don't like being told not to. It's human nature. I wish I could speed everwhere under the pretense that it is only a 450lb bike, it can't do that much damage, I am better trained than most drivers, but laws for the people, all of them, the irresponsible morons too. I like to do what I want when I want, but I like having some safeguards from those who do what I don't want them to do.

It's kind of nice to get to publicly disagree with laws and vote for people we think might change them to suit our tastes. No country or place has ever been, successfully, free. If you find a place that is "freer" than here move there. Write to me, I may move there too. I hope I don't die there when some kid on a crotch rocket swerves in front of me on one wheel...
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #47
sarnali
Founding Member

I've found that too for the most part. Hands in sight and open, stand by the bike facing the officer, yes sir, no sir, yes I was speeding but I'll never do it again sir....

works most of the time.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't forget. Always obey all laws! Even if the law requires you to report all suspected Jews to the Gestapo. If you don't obey all laws you are automatically a criminal.

Sounds good to me.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #49
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

What did he say? I wasn't paying attention.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #50
Chango
Founding Member

What nobody else seems to have pointed out is that these evil, horse-raping, child-molesting, devil-worshipping, and generally bad people were still showing restraint. They were only going 130? A 2000 Suzuki Bandit 600, with a neutered (detuned, or tuned for midrange torque, or however you prefer to say it) engine taken from a 1986 GSX-R600 will go 130. It may take a while to get there compared to the latest and greatest, but it will still get there faster than a car. These folks had in their group a 2001 Suzuki 750 and a 2003 Yamaha 750 (hee hee). Now, I consider my 2005 600 to be a rip-snortin, fire breathing, dementedly overpowered and generally evil bike, and it'll go 150-155 or so. And if I was desperately running, or if I was just bored, I would be going 150-155 or so. I guess my point is that a modern 750 like the Yamaha (hee hee), or even an ancient, piece-of-crap 750 like that 2001 Suzuki can easily exceed 130, unless it was a Katana, in which case he deserved to be pulled over for riding an ugly bike anyway.

And for the spokesperson who says "[the police] have better things to do than play with these guys," go do better things then.

"Remember: It's always easier to do things the hard way. -- Chango