Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #11
nickrab
Founding Member

Default 6k - not a chance

I am waiting for a 450/550 Tuono myself. Unfortunately there is no chance that this is going to go for 6k. Sure, it is small displacement, but the running gear will be high end, which is much of the cost of the bike anyway. I doubt that 450 is that much cheaper to produce than their liter engine anyway. Even if it is a grand cheaper for the engine, you are looking at what, a 8-9k 450? I still want one though.
nickrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #12
pplassm
Founding Member

Default An engine for all bikes?

I'd like to see it offered in several bikes: sportbike, MXer, Competition Enduro, Supermoto, and adventure tourer. Aprilia's racing website shows the powerplant doing well in two regimes, anyway.

Oh, hell, just use one of these:

http://www.pratt-whitney.com/about_h...ssic_r4360.asp

Old 03-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #13
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: An engine for all bikes?

That makes sense, leveraging the engine into multiple platforms. That's what they do with their liter engine too. I'd prefer the "mini-Tuono"

As for the adventure tourer, it may have a German badge on it...

"Munich, 15 March 2005 - BMW Motorrad and Aprilia S.p.A., Noale, Italy (Piaggio Group), have successfully completed talks regarding a renewed collaboration in the motorcycle sector. A co-operation contract in the areas of development and production was signed in Munich, concerning a new product offer which will add in the future to the market segments currently covered by BMW. Production is due to take place in the Italian Aprilia plants at Noale and Scorzè near Venice.

From 1993 up until the end of 1999, Aprilia has been manufacturing the first generation of the very successful single cylinder F 650 for BMW Motorrad. Production of the successor model was then moved to the BMW Motorrad plant in Berlin.

Herbert Diess, Head of BMW Motorrad, stated: "This is a further extension of BMW's motorcycle range. Models of the existing single cylinder series (F Series) are not affected by these developments. Among other things, we see this co-operation as a key contribution to the reinforcement of the European motorcycle and supply industry"."

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #14
nweaver
Founding Member

Default RS450? Make it a Tuono 450...

If they make it (if), you'd expect a Tuono 450 to follow. If it does, expect me to buy the first one outta the crate in the area...

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #15
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: 70 HP / less than 300 lbs?

A sub-500cc/$6000+ streetbike stands as much of a chance in the US market as a rational thought in kpaul's skull.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it. The roads around here put a premium on handling, not horsepower. But I highly doubt Aprilia will bring it here.

It's a good argument for tiered licensing, though.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #16
pattonme
Founding Member

Default never bought a new bike

4 bikes and 100K miles I have never really been tempted to buy a new bike. The 'priller, however, is at the top of my list.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #17
rwolds
Founding Member

I would think that the market niche for this engine is really dual-sport -- this is the engine that could do for Aprilia what the SV-650 did for Suzuki -- create an instant classic -- and also be a lightweight answer to the porky BMW F-650 and the ancient Kawasaki KLR 650. Even better -- imagine a bike like this in the Paris-Dakar weighing in at less than the KTM 660 singles with better reliability, less vibration, and comparable power with the potential for serious power tweakage.
rwolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

For what it's worth Aprilia is defining this engine as an off-road engine. I wouldn't expect to see it in street-based bikes unless Aprilia thinks it can meet the much tougher noise and pollution requirements for such machines. Nothing on their website encourages such thinking.

After all, there are plenty of off-road only two-stroke dirtbikes. They are sold profitably without any intention from the manufacturers to make them street legal. Eventually they are being phased out. Aprilia may have no intention of ever making this engine available in a street legal machine.

Time will tell.

It'll be interesting to see if a 70 HP engine that requires 14,000 rpm to make that 70 HP will be able to compete in the dirt. Will it need a 10 speed transmission? Is there any midrange torque at all? What about the inherently slower revving response of a 4 stroke over a two stroke? This may not be a problem in road racing, but dirt is an entirely different animal.

I wish Aprilia luck.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

The powerplant is doing quite well in Supermoto competition which has SOME dirt in it. Current 250 4 stroke dirt bikes are pulling 12k RPM and stomping all the 125 2 strokes.

As long as current MX racing trend continue and there is a higher premium put on timing and guts than endurance and skill, if they can keep the weight down, they ought to do fine.

After all, consumers have spoken. Soon there won't be any 2 stroke dirt bikes left.

Good point on the noise and pollution certification, though. This powerplant may never (legally) see the street.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #20
nokneedragin
Founding Member

All true, but I've know afew people that have made their dirt bike street legal. Titled, regestered, with bare minimum of fuss. I think that in some states it only requires a headlight, taillight, brake light, license plate holder (w/light). No turn signals needed. Slap some good street tires and have a blast.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote