Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Hydrogen Power VS Loud Pipes (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2702-hydrogen-power-vs-loud-pipes.html)

mscuddy 03-16-2005 06:56 AM

Re: Hydrogen Power VS Loud Pipes

With the way this "bike" looks, I think the amplified sound of an .049 Cox Thimble Drone model airplane engine would be fitting.

nokneedragin 03-16-2005 07:34 AM

That reminded me of a ralley I attended years ago. A goldwing rider had a tape of a Harley playing at full volume on his stereo when he rode through the parking lot. The confused looks from the HD guys was priceless.

Tigercub 03-16-2005 08:38 AM

If you collect the exhaust gas, you can have a nice warm drink ready for you at the end of a 100mph ride. Not bad. Can they add flavoring?

jconli1 03-16-2005 08:44 AM

I thought I was a serious rider, but never in my life have I been concerned with "Va-va-voom"... at least no so far as bikes are concerned.

Guess I don't know a damn thing about riding after all...

pushrod 03-16-2005 08:44 AM

Nothing a couple of playing cards and clothes pins can't fix...

bboule 03-16-2005 08:48 AM

All they have to do is figure out how to make the exhaust generate alcohol instead of water and rake it out and add some chrome and it will sell like hotcakes. Everyone will forget about the noise when they get high on their own bikes moonshine.

kowalke67 03-16-2005 09:16 AM

Peter Wakeham, director of the Noise Abatement Society, who said motorbikes were among the worst noise offenders, welcomed the idea of a quiet bike.

"But it kind of defeats the purpose of designing a silent bike only to then add an artificial noise device," he said.
</p>Designing this motorbike kind of defeats the purpose of a motorbike.

Andonyx 03-16-2005 09:59 AM

Bad marketing strikes again...

I think they're doing themselves and the consumer a dis-service by marketing this as a "motorcycle." Being from the states maybe the connotations between scooter, motorcycle, motorbike, etc are all different in the UK, but I see lots of dis-appointed, confused people in the futur of this bike.

The bike looks like a hybrid scooter-dirt bike, it doesn't go over 50, and right now at least makes almost no noise.

Motorcycle enthusiasts are going to take one look at this and pass. The sales are going to be pants, and the whole project, which has a seed of a good idea behind it is going to tank.

They need to market this as alternative urban transport, which is exactly what it is. It's a segue that's faster, cooler looking, has a longer range, and is able to use the majority of roadways. That's not only more truthful advertising, I think it's more effective.

allthatwanders 03-16-2005 10:16 AM

Re: Bad marketing strikes again...

I totally agree. It's like the honda insight, so ugly it makes people think "nerd" about hybrids. If they want to add some noise they should add an air compressor, they'd get more power and get their noise. I must admit I did almost run over a pedestrian when test driving the EV1.

Neal 03-16-2005 10:37 AM

Are you kidding!!!! I take my vavavoom meter with me everytime I go look at a bike to buy......sheeesh,Damn dilletantes!