Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-17-2005, 05:05 AM   #21
gniewko
Registered Member

Default Re: Hydrogen Power VS Loud Pipes

That's actually an interesting theoretical question: If you could have a bike that has tons of power, handles great and looks better than a 996, but the only sound it makes is the quiet whine of an electric engine, would you want it? I think I'd have to get a test-ride first...
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2005, 06:22 AM   #22
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Ahh..... theres the rub.

Would we as a group of rugged individuals want a bike that gave us all the style and power we wanted, but did not make the requisite blat-blat noises ???

Personally I would not mind a fuell cell bike that could get 150 to 200 miles per charge, and gave equivalent sport standard performance, was quiet, and cost about the same to run as a petrol version.

At that point its the purchase $$$ that swing people one way or another.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:02 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Just think of what kind of performance you could get with even a 70 hp electric motor. Remember that an electric motor gets 100% of its torque and HP at zero rpm. Imagine the acceleration.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #24
pdad13
Founding Member

I would personally like to thank Jeff Stone of the BMF for making us all sound like a bunch of dorks.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:20 AM   #25
DaveFla
Founding Member

Better yet, Seruzawa, think of a 160-horse (instantaneous, GM's had these pancake motors for a decade) two wheel drive bike that weighs less than 500 pounds, and probably has some sort of kingpin/link set-up on the front.

Come to think of it... why couldn't it have two-wheel steering, as well?

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #26
jtyyy
Founding Member

It seems to me that rather than giggling about the lack of a manly vroom vroom noise and making fun of this bike, I'd like to think some people may see the wisdom of getting off petrol and onto hydro as a viable alternative. Especially considering we have reached yet another high in gas prices.

Admittedly, I'm looking for something that goes faster than 50, and perhaps this one bike is not the best solution but at least let's recognize the promise this bike (or one like it) can hold in the future.

Besides, the funniest thing in this thread is the thought that some posters here can't live without the big noise their pipes make.

You and your pipes have a good day.
jtyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #27
Andonyx
Registered Member

Actually, I'm having the opposite. This is slightly OT, but I bought a Triumph Legend 900 about 8 months ago, and I'm pretty sure the prvious owner took the baffling out of the pipes. I simply can't imagine a stock set of pipes (They are the stock models) being that loud. I assume he also failed to re-jet the carbs because there's a weird dead spot at 3500 and then at about 4200 BAM...ludicrous speed.

I was kinda happy with my quirky unusual bike for a while until I realized that everytime I came back to my quiet residential street after midnight I felt really tense about the noise I was making, and started coasting in with the engine killed. It's just too damn loud.

Also, the triple makes some weird sounds anyway. At cruising speeds it sounds like a cigarette boat chopping along the Florida coast. My riding buddy asked me if I put an Evinrude in there.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:26 PM   #28
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Gas prices still haven't reached the inflation-adjusted high of ~$3/gal seen in 1981. Just the same, lots 'o enginerds here (myself included) know hydro is coming. But we will continue to mock the mopeds until they crank out some decent performance numbers. The same way riders on horseback mocked the newfangled motorbike last century.

Back to my manly giggling...
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #29
Somnus
Founding Member

Double the size and power of the bike, and make headlight modulators a factory option.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:09 AM   #30
trumant
Founding Member

If something like this were to replace scooters throughout Asia and put a sizable dent in the Euro scooter market the effect on air quality and noise pollution would be incredible.

I'm still waiting for the news of cheap, efficient hydrogen generation though. I keep seeing vehicle after vehicle powerd by fuel cell, new concepts released every few monthes and no talk of the generation problem.