Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-10-2005, 06:24 AM   #31
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Speed Channel Programming

Longride is hardly being abusive. And he's right. Your MTV2, VH1, etc. analogy fails because these stations served a pre-existing audience demand. In the world of motorsports in the US, the only demand seems to be for Nascar. A non-Nascar motorsports channel would get crappier ratings than an NHL channel. Why invest the $$$ into a seperate station when the audience need can be served by putting the marginal programming in scheduling ghettos on an existing channel? And motorcycle racing is EXTREMELY marginal. Willing it otherwise does not change the fact.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2005, 06:28 AM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Let me point out...

I've posted racing results in the past that didn't even get a response. Some interest.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #33
Stonedog
Founding Member

Doesn't change the fact that nASScar still sucks.

Go fast and turn left. Or is it right? No thanks, I need to go watch some paint dry.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #34
schizuki
Founding Member

Think about this - since Nascar is so popular, more people will bug their cable companies to move Speed from premium service to basic service. That would automatically increase the exposure of motorcyle racing.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hey, I'd love to see that stuff, but I'm not sure anyone is willing to take the risk on marginal interest. Like Buz said, just look at the response we get here when posting race info. It's almost nil, and this is a motorcycle site.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #36
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I don't know 'bout that Willis, look at Speed Channel's website, lots of bike related stuff.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/

Of course there's also NASCAR, classic cars, etc.

Better some bikes on TV than none at all. Beats Andy Griffith re-runs.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:59 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Speed is already in my basic service.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #38
nokneedragin
Founding Member

dito
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #39
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

I believe they direct their driving during collisions and debris because the drivers are wearing safety gear that prevents their heads from turnring/moving. "1:00" fatal wall hits anyone?

I think in-car footage during such situations fully communicates the intensity of the moment - a car spins out in front of you and you're promptly blinded by white smoke at 180mph with no idea what you may hit. Wanna swerve? Better make sure what's next to you - oh, that's right, you can't because you can't move your head. I think I'd want someone to give me a little feedback on what to do during that situation as well.

Even given the circumstances above, it seems a far leap to say that the driver doesn't have to drive the car that much. I also think there's a bit more to it than watching purty and shinee carz gettin' smash'd up like uh dem'lition derbee...

Anyone note how well the Nascar drivers did when competing in alternative forms of racing with drivers of other disciplines? Some of them did very well from what I recall...maybe there's more to it than just goin' round in circlez, huh?

It may be boring and ho hum to watch from our selective, refined and slightly indignant motorcycle racing pedestals, but that doesn't mean that any of us could strap into one of those cars and perform to levels remotely approaching the abilities of Nascar drivers.

Lastly, Longride is right - Speed features it so much because 1. Millions of people love it and 2. It is about Money.

For the record, I'm the furthest thing from a die-hard Nascar fan. I'm just trying to put a little perspective on the discussion and I do know that much of your comments were tongue-in-cheek.
Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #40
Iman01
Founding Member

Default Re: Let me point out...Capt. Obvious

Motorcycle racing isn't as controversial. We all agree that bike racing is cool. We all have differing opinions about the things that get 100+ posts.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote