Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-10-2005, 06:28 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Speed Channel Programming

TV? Who the heck is watching TV? It's 62 degrees outside today. I'm going riding!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2005, 06:28 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Let me point out...

If someone posts a loud pipes topic we get 200 post on this site. Or godforbid an oil thread!

If Racing qualifying or results are posted you get 10 posts unless someone starts an off-topic flame war. And this is a motorcycle enthusast website! At least I think it is.......
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:57 AM   #23
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Let me point out...

Couldn't agree more. Most of the rants here seem to either be loosely based on motorcycles and a lot of the times not at all, even with KSquid gone.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:03 AM   #24
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I think the attraction of motorcycle racing, for motorcycle racing fans, focuses less on personality and rooting for your guy than just seeing people ride bikes the way they do when they race them. You can see what's happening, you can see the skill involved, the moments, the beauty. I love every minute of road racing I can watch on TV but I don't need to prattle on endlessly about who's going to win and who's not. I'll watch no matter what (and even when I get sick of it being a Rossi parade.)

NASCAR fans must resort to rooting for personalities because that's basically the only techincal difference between the cars and the drivers. That and the paint jobs. They drive around in a circle, nothing exciting happens at all unless somebody crashes. The winner of a cup race is a roll of the dice. The winner of a motorcycle race is often pretty predictable, but it's still thrilling and beautiful to watch.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:05 AM   #25
weaponx666
Founding Member

I have a DVR cable box so I have it set to record all motorcycle racing programs on Speed, so I don't really have a problem with the early morning Tuesday racing. I can watch whenever I want. It costs me an extra $5/month from my cable company for this service. For a racing fan, it may be worthwhile to do this.
weaponx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:15 AM   #26
schizuki
Founding Member

OK, as far as scheduling goes, who cares? It's 2005, guys, get TiVo or a DVR.

As far as content goes - imagine fifteen years ago someone telling you that you'd be able to see tape-delayed Superbike, AMA, and MotoGP racing (or the 1990 equivalents). You'd be in heaven.

I know plenty of Nascar fans. I've never met another WSK, AMA, or MotoGP fan. We're a miniscule audience, and I'm grateful for the coverage we enjoy. Speed Channel rocks.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #27
schizuki
Founding Member

Furthermore, I bet if you compared Nascar ratings to motorcycle ratings, then compared that to hours of Nascar programming vs hours of motorcycle programming, you'd find that we're getting more than our fair share.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 AM   #28
Pgbexr
Registered Member

Ohmygawd!!! I wish I could pick a type point size on these replys. Cause there's no way I can express my response loud enough to that Buz.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was the only one...Phew.
Pgbexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You'll notice Speed can't even sell advertising for motorcycle races other than the occasional Honda commercial.

All those 1-800-whatever ads and make millions working from home website deals are unpaid ads. The broadcaster gets a small cut based on the number of people who call the number or log on to the website. That's why when you see the same commercial on differnt channels the 800 number or the web address is always different.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sorry, but I call a spade a spade. If someone spouts outright bullshyt, I call em on it. I have never jumped on ANYONE with an opinion, but when they try to turn opinion into fact, and tell me I'm wrong, well they should expect to be challenged. The guys that posted about exhaust pipes, who had ZERO knowledge and kept insisting I was wrong deserved what they got. I enjoy listening to people that actually have knowledge from which they speak, and I can't stand listening to people that pass off disinformation as truth. The funniest part is you never said where I was abrasive to YOU. You had an opinion and I had mine. I still don't think any other form of racing can even come close to NASCAR popularity. Not even in the ballpark. Those other forms of stations obviously have a niche. From my obervations at motorcycle races, there just isn't enough interest to warrant much coverage.