Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2005, 02:33 AM   #1
r1der
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

Don't buy a slow Harley and you won't need aftermarket pipes. I bet you only gain power at the top of the rev range. I would also wager everything you gain up top, you lose down low. Buy the new Gixxer 1K. You will be pleased with the performance from the stock motor.
r1der is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 02:51 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I bet your wrong. Any 2 into one collector is better for power, especially low end power, on a Harley than a stock 2 pipe system. I'll assume you were just talking out your butt on that one, since you are 100% wrong. If the "Gixxer" is so fast, why does every one I see have an aftermarket loud pipe on it? Would that be because the power sucks, or they are just trying to be an annoyance? You pick.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
jhinton
Registered Member

Default Yes, Loud Pipes do Lose Rights

I would have to agree that loud pipes lose rights. This is the number one issue that non-riders complain to me about. The blame can be spread around quite a bit.

To the riders: Wake up! Current sport bikes have incredibly well designed exhaust systems. Not only do they flow as well as possible while staying within the legal noise limits, but lots of bikes come with titanium exhaust systems. The days of bolting on a new exhaust and picking up 10 hp and dropping 20 lbs are gone. Spend your cash on a track school. It will make you faster then the new exhaust and is transferable to any bike.

To the exhaust manufactures: How about a decibel reading in the spec sheets. No exhaust manufacture that I know of lists a decibel rating for their exhaust systems. They seem to only group them into the subjective "Street" and "Race" categories. Except that one company's "street" system may be louder than another's "race" system.

A rider then buys a "street" system only to find out that after they spent $1500 for the exhaust system, jet kit, and installation their so-called "street" system is ear splitting loud. But who is going to roll the dice on another system and sell their brand new loud system for maybe $.50 on the dollar.

To the motorcycle magazines: How about listing a decibel reading when you test an exhaust system. Decibel meters arenÂ’t that expensive and it would give a potential buyer some real information to base their purchase on. The industry standard of "Oh, itÂ’s not all that loud" really doesnÂ’t cut it. To be fair, one of the magazines has started doing this, but IÂ’m not sure which one.

To the police: How about some enforcement. Buy a few decibel meters and enforce the noise ordinances. My hometown did this targeting exhaust systems and radios. It didnÂ’t take too long for people to get the message and turn down the volume and put some reasonable exhausts on their vehicles.

jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:35 AM   #4
Mooner
Founding Member

InterestingTrade in that comment. Harley for a GSXR 1000....
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

So you're asking a bunch of 22 year-olds and Marlon Brando wannabes to excersize restraint?

BWahhahahahahahhahahah hahahahahhahah!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
ckirk
Registered Member

r1der is far more right than wrong Longride. A PROPERLY tuned 2 into 1 should give a balance of performance increase across the RPM range but all 2 into 1 pipes are not created equal ... especially as each engine is modified the differing performance characteristics require differing pipe designs. More often than not HP is increased at upper RPM's at the expense of low end torque. For reference here is one result of a quick Google search to maybe help shed a bit more light on the issue ---- http://www.peganet.net/personal_page...n1/harley.html

FWIW - I have no experience with Harleys but have a bit with tweeking Ducati V-twins. Many of the same flow issues exist with these engines.
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 AM   #7
stoney8888
Founding Member

I think it would be just as scary to be passed by a group of cruiser riders at 100 miles an hour(beleive me it happens)

and loud sport bikes are really loud
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 AM   #8
mad1
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, Loud Pipes do Lose Rights

Sport Rider had an issue where they tested 30+ exhausts for the R6. They had db readings (idle and max and maybe midrange) and power and torque curves before and after. Pretty informative article, but I'm not sure how relevant the results would be to any bike but an R6. The problem is there are so many manufacturers and bikes that we'd be looking at thousands of exhaust tests to get comprehensive info on these things.....
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:27 AM   #9
afcop750
Registered Member

I agree with the pipes having a reasonable decibel level, cruiser or rocket. Keep in mind that going 100 mph on a modern sport bike is so effortless that it isnÂ’t necessarily dangerous. ThatÂ’s what they are built for. Depends on the volume of traffic, canÂ’t be on the track every day....
afcop750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:55 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You need to go to the gym. It fixes everything.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote