Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #81
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

I don't know about loud pick-up trucks, but I used to come across a 68 or 69 Vette with a 427 that was loud and luscious when I was out riding in Michigan. Sitting behind it at a stop light almost rattled the teeth out of my head, but the potential fury that rumble of that car at idle communicated was intoxicating.

I think the Harley sound is overrated and prefer the sound of any two- or four-valve Duc as well, but you're losing me when you start questioning V-8s

James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #82
smithrob75
Founding Member

Is that full coverage ?

I'll have to pull up the statistics but there are a LOT more wrecks with guys over 40 most on harley's I would assume. I'm 27 and have been riding since I was 11, I've never wrecked anything on the street. I have more riding experience than most 40-60 year old riders but most people would assume by looking at the old folks they have more experience than me. Keep in mind I was racing by age 14 and I lived on 500 acres so I got to ride every single day after school and got my 1st street bike at age 16 (a Yamaha Virago) then bought a 95 ninja and put many many miles on it before getting my 04. Don't assume that sportbike riders are all unexperienced riders or "squids"
Old 03-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #83
James_Brown
Registered Member

I believe research shows that even the loudest pipes do little to get the attention of drivers in front of you. As the vast majority of mc accidents that involve a car or truck occur with a vehicle in the path of the mc's travel, it would appear that the ability of loud pipes to get you noticed by the drivers that pose the biggest threat is minimal.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 PM   #84
smithrob75
Founding Member

It sounds like loud farts.... phew... You have heard a 2-stroke 250 right ? How can you even compare the 2.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #85
smithrob75
Founding Member

Keep in mind my brother races cars with built V-8's. 383 strokers as well as 402's. All have pretty big cams. Now those sound very very good. I'm talking about everyone and their brother who have a Dodge Ram, Ford F150, Chevy Silverado etc that put glasspacks on there. Has a very flat hollow sound. Once again I'm questioning quality, powerful V-8's.. Hell give me more cyliders. I love the sound of Ferrari V-12's and especially Ferrari F1 V-10's. The best sounding motors in existing I think.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #86
smithrob75
Founding Member

That's pretty funny, never though about it that way !!! I'm sure the liberals will find a way to ban bikes some day.. sheesh !!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:49 PM   #87
smithrob75
Founding Member

Amen.. I left out the vintage bikes. The XR750 Harley was one of the best bikes made. IMO they've gotten away from their heritage with the current lineup. The best looking Harley in my opinion is the 883R. The one most "harley" guys say is a girls bike.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #88
pdad13
Founding Member

Amen.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #89
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's some dyno's

That'd be my guess. According to the catalog half that stuff is epa legal. Why don't they put it on stock?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #90
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm no stunter

"And I drive/ride better than normal people when I'm drunk."

I agree. Jeez, what a bunch of hooey. Motorcycles are designed to be effective on two wheels, not one. So anyone who makes the claim that it's not more dangerous to ride a wheelie in freeway traffic has looped his bike one too many times (and bounced his nearly- empty noggin off of the pavement). I might make the argument that a motorized unicycle, in theory, might outperform a wheelieing 150-hp liter bike, but I'm not smart enough...

The worst part is that these dimwits are encouraging the younger pups to emulate this retarded behavior. I've seen plenty of these idiots around my parts, most of them don't know Richard about anything but wheeleezz.

Please, just stop it.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote