Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #61
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

I'm having to agree with you Buz.

I don't know how all those squids can afford insurance either. *****, my *cough*Concours*cough* is $850ish a year and my Shadow was $300.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 10:57 AM   #62
sconley
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm no stunter

I see your point... But I believe a lot of great riders go down while taking a simple curve or even forget to put the kickstand all the way down when dismounting... I even remember a moto-journalist review that lost a couple of bikes when one experienced rider slammed into the back of another experienced rider (sorry guys)... S#$% happens... Both activities are inherently dangerous but if you introduce the curve of experience in the sliding scale, they both have about the same probability of disaster striking... That's all I believe the original post was trying to say.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #63
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm no stunter

Right.. that is a common stunt-bozo claim.

"I'm so darned good I'm safer doing a wheelie than the average rider on 2 wheels"

No amount of skill will ever allow them to stop as quickly or swerve as hard on one wheel as two wheels.

On top of that those stunt bikes have absolutely scary mods, it's amazing if they ever actually pass inspection.

The stunt fad does seem to finally be fading away a bit but holy cow, let's not try and attack loud pipes or sportbikes doing 100 on the freeway when the mad stunnaz are still running around causing all kinds of trouble on the roads and filming (and selling) it.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think my Geezer Glide, Ducati, and MV Agusta are all about 600 year each or a little less.

I've never priced a Japanese sportbike for insurance because I've never owned one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #65
Iman01
Founding Member

I ride harleys with loud and quiet pipes. I don't get cut off on the loud piped bikes, ever. Even animals run off the road long before I get there. I am safer on the louder bikes.

Someone made a comment about the noise being too much for long trips, when I am on the highway the wind is a lot louder.

Motorcycling is a lot about self expression. Lots of motorcyclists express themselves by thumbing their nose at the same cage driving d0lts that thumb their noses at us. And for that reason, I get a big smile every time I set off a car alarm on some Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

We can talk all day long about how nice we could be to everyone else. But at some point you just give up and stand there with your friendly finger in there air, yelling I'm still here, doing whatever I want to do.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #66
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's some dyno's

Stage 1 isn't just pipes, it's pipes, air box/filter upgrades and carb rejet or fuel injection remap. You need to do all three together.

and the reason it works that way is that stock Harleys and Buells are running a touch lean and have restricted intake/exhaust so they can meet EPA without needing catalytic converters & crap like that. My GUESS is that most bikes that use catalytic converters and liquid cooling would not benefit nearly so much from these simple mods.

at least in my experience with Buells the place you notice the gains the most isn't in top end HP but in low to mid level torque, the flat spot in the torque curve is gone and the engine is more responsive throughout the range.

P.S. Sean, when you guys do the rest of the streetfigher comparo with the speed triple you should try to get a CityX from Buell. It doesn't matter what the dyno graph says, just put people on the bike & let em ride it...I'll bet 3 outa 4 would prefer it over the 12S
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #67
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've got a blooey pipe on the Greeves, and birds actually drop from the sky, stone dead.

Car alarms indeed..
Old 03-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #68
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

You make a good point. Plenty of bad apples out there who ride sport bikes
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #69
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think both Sean and Burns are on record as saying they like the 9 better than the 12.

I've only ridden the 12 so I can't comment.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Mr. tomk2 I agree with everything you said above. Pipes need intake and proper jetting to be effective on a Harley, and when you do it right, there is no low end torque lost.