Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #41
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

I've ridden some bikes with loud exhausts. A well tuned engine sounds *****in' blasting away at 10k+ rpm (to me anyways) but I still have the stock exhaust on the Rex. I don't want every cop for miles to know every time I get on it.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #42
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Chicken!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:41 AM   #43
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I have heard some Harleys that sound Great IMHO. The XR750's and a few well tuned (very few) street rides come to mind. And... 4-stroke dirtbikes Rock IMHO .
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #44
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

See dyno charts below. And by the way NOBODY just puts a pipe on a Harley. Everyone pretty much does a Stage1.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #45
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I will agree that putting drag pipes on a Harley, or any other bike, will seriously affect low end performance. I'm sure the people that talk about low end torque loss are speaking about these. Different animal. Any 2 to1 collector pipe that is manufactured by a reputable company like Hooker, is infinitely better than a stock exhaust or drag pipes in every way. There is no low end torque loss, although there ARE significant torque and horsepower gains when tuned correctly.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #46
oleland
Registered Member

I watched two sportbike riders a few days ago wheelie away from a stoplight with loud pipes blaring away with heavy traffic on the road at the time.I think there is more to the image problem than just loud pipes,although I think most people can tell the difference between mature riders that obey the rules and young squids that don't.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #47
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Sounds good to me, right after we raise our driver and rider training standards equal to Germany's.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #48
wwalkersd
Founding Member

It all comes down to this: be considerate of others. Make the effort to look at things from their point of view, and don't do things that would ***** them off. If we could all do this, instead of acting like selfish children, we'd have a lot fewer problems.

I've had to stop conversations to wait for a loud bike, that was too far away to see, to go by. I've had it happen more often with Harleys, but screaming sportbikes do it, too. You can't tell me this won't make people angry.

Stock pipes save rights!
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #49
Tigercub
Founding Member

I caught up with a "Harley" rider this morning between the lanes on the freeway and really felt sorry for every car he passed. He had open pipes - no crossover that I could see and when he rolled-off the throttle the thing backfired. I was on my stock 600 and was only worried about the cars thinking he was the only bike splitting lanes, so I backed-off a little until the goon finally saw me and moved over to let me pass. I have a Harley (OK nearly stock) and know his motor was far from optimally tuned. He'd of done much better with a 2-into-1 pipe system, moderate cam and K&N air cleaner. Just that system alone really pulls from about 2500rpm with no back firing and hardly much increase in noise. All the info needed to build that type of motor is out there - Hot Rod Bike, American Rider etc. There is no excuse for just sticking on open pipes - except to be obnoxious.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #50
skeepee
Registered Member

The Bandit 1200 (at least the first gen. examples) sees an easy 10-12 HP gain from nearly any less restricive exhaust. An example can be seen at the Two Bros. site here. The Bandit's gains are exceptional because the stock exhaust is very restrictive; most bikes see much smaller gains.

Other bikes, like the Valkyrie I currently own, don't benefit much from exhaust mods.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote