Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2005, 05:00 AM   #21
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default I'm no stunter

But I had a conversation with Pauly of Las Vegas Extremes at the motorcycle show, concerning the hit piece on stunting done by some TV tabloid show a while back.

He made the (I think pretty legitimate) point that people like himself are so practiced and skilled at doing, for instance, wheelies, that it is simply not unsafe for them to ride down the highway on one wheel next to an automobile. It might appear "extreme" to the uninitiated, but it's supposed to----that's how they make their money selling videos and doing shows. However, appearing to be extreme to the average, feckless, incapable cage driver doesn't make it so. Someone like Pauly probably has more control of his vehicle on one wheel than 95% of people do on all four.

This may not apply to all stunt-attempting squids, but the point remains. The only real concern I can think of for skilled sportbikers is that they might shock or scare a cage driver into reacting, or, rather, over-reacting, to some non-existent percieved emergency, and cause an accident that way. But then, I still think that is the fault of the idiot causing the crash. If you're going to be on the road, better know how to drive.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 AM   #22
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

Not really looking for an argument here, but most two into one exhaust systems for Harleys are likely to be tuned to enhance the part of the powerband that Harley riders use most, the low and midrange rpm's. Perhaps your experience with these exhaust systems is due to the fact that you just haven't run acrossed a set up tuned strictly for high rpm use. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm no stunter

You might want to ask Pauly how quickly he can apply the brakes when riding on one wheel down the highway.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:27 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: It's not us, it's them!

You've got a quiet Ducati. For shame!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:27 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Hey when your bike sets off car alarms it gets chicks man.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #26
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: I'm no stunter

I was given a warning by a Phoenix cop after speeding up a tad (90 or so) to move ahead of two freeway entry lanes merging from my right, so that I could move to the right to make my next exit. I pointed out my rationale to the cop: it seemed a lot safer than slowing down and trying to work my way through a few tightly-packed lanes of cars. He agreed, but then made the reasonable point that he often responded to an accident caused by a driver swerving unexpectedly into another car after being startled by a sportbike going by at a high rate of speed (ok - maybe I was doing 100, but only for a couple of seconds).

My point? I don't care how skilled a rider is - passing someone on the rear wheel may still cause an accident. It'd be different if drivers were more aware (and mellow), but that's not our current environment. I wouldn't mind drivers talking on cell phones if they just paid attention to their driving, but since so many of them don't I'd like to see cell phone usage made illegal and the law aggressively enforced. The reality is that loud pipes can be really bothersome, depending on the rider's attitude. And of course the jerks that are most obnoxious aren't likely to change their attitudes anytime soon.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #27
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Well said. My observations confirm yours. I rarely see kids on sport bikes doing squidly things in the city or on the freeway. However, I see plenty of the loud pipe gang doing the rev up at stop lights, under passes, tunnels, downtown city streets lined with sky scrappers. I love the sound of a big V-twin as much as the next guy, but folks could use a little common sense on where they rev it up at.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #28
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I think you are essentially correct on this one. The claimed HP gains for aftermarket street systems on street bikes in my experience (sportbikes and standards) is largely hype by the manufacturers. I've convinced myself a bunch of times from the seat that it made a difference but I've also dynoed enough bikes to see a pattern that rarely indicates a gain of more than a few HP and that is generally, as you say, at the expense of torque down low. Most of the gain come right at the top of the rev range where it isn't very useful on the street. This is not universally true, but true often enough that I generally don't worry about aftermarket pipes anymore unless they make the bike look/sound cooler because that (and losing some heft) is essentially what you are paying for. OEM's have gotten pretty good at tuning exhaust performance to meet the regs of the EPA, EU, et.al.

Race bikes and dirt bikes are another matter and maybe large cruisers too, I don't know. But for the majority of street bikes I'm with ya.

I still wouldn't pi$$ of longride tho, he'll crush your spleen.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:53 AM   #29
James_Brown
Registered Member

I pose this question: maybe your experience is mostly with in-line 4s where the effects of a free-breathing system are mostly in the higher rev range; perhaps the situation is different with a large bore v-twin?
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:03 AM   #30
James_Brown
Registered Member

I wish I could say that I don't see sportbike riders wicking it up around town but I frequently see just that. I also hear them winding it up at stop lights at least as often as the crusier guys. I have moderately loud pipes on my 2-valve Duc. They are more than capable of being socially acceptable but can also bring the noise when called upon. If I'm a good citizen, the so are they. I like it that way. While with some pipes it's unavoidable, I do think it makes a little sense to paraphrase a well known line: "Pipes don't make loud noises, people make loud noises"

James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote