Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2005, 05:14 AM   #11
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

"...passed by a group of cruiser riders at 100 miles an hour(beleive me it happens) "

It wasn't me,....I can't get mine over 90.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
SmokeU
Registered Member

Hey now!! When I was 22(two years ago) I had restraint. Course I wasn't riding a sport bike then, or now.

I certainly do understand your point. There are a few young(er) riders in town I'd like to see eat pavement.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:19 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Rookie!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:24 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

No, actually r1rider isn't far more right. Since you have nothing but a link to show, as to my personal experience tuning and modifying many different Harley's, I'd say you weren't even qualified to say anything. But hey, they always say opinions are like A-holes.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #15
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default It's not us, it's them!

I own Harleys and Ducatis so I'm an equal opportunity basher.

1. Everytime I hear some weekend warrior go by with straight pipes and wide open throttle I cringe and say I'm going to sell my hogs.

2. Everytime I see a bunch of squids go by on 1 wheel I cringe and say I'm going to sell my Dukes (I also have an overwhelming hankering to swerve into thier lane, but I digress)

My point is both actions are viewed negatively by the non-bike riding public and by regular riding joes like we are.

But in slight defense of louder pipes (not straight pipes), on the freeway on my quiet Duc many more cagers start to pull in on my lane until they here my horn versus when I'm riding my Harley with aftermarket pipes which they hear without need of a horn.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:51 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

I like quiet bikes myself. Nothing pisses non-riders off more than loud pipes. The differance between loud cans on a sportbike and loud pipes on a cruiser is most sportbikes are fairly quiet in town, people don't really open them up till they get away from everyone in the twisties.

Most of the cruisers I see are in town yo-yo'ing the throttle at stop lights like 2 year olds with their first hard-on. While a tuned exhaust system might work better on a V-twin. Open drag pipes only improve power at high RPM's, and they rob power at lower RPM's where most of these feller's ride, so basicaly you're making a weak bike even weaker, while at the same time you're irritating everyone around you with your childish "look at me" behavior.

Good job!, now please go find another sport and leave mine alone... Maybe jet-ski's or better yet, cliff-diving.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #17
r1der
Founding Member

Talking out of my butt? Show me a dyno where you gain power everywhere from just an exhaust. Don't just tell me I'm wrong, show me.

I always use the stock pipe. I like my neighbors and when I scratch up the stock muffler on the track, a used muffler with about 50 miles is available on eBay for $50.
r1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 AM   #18
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, Loud Pipes do Lose Rights

Good point about the mags and law enforcement. I have an recent issue of Dirt Rider where Jimmy Lewis states, in so many words, in his review of the Honda CRF450X that the bike is so well tuned and has such a smooth broad powerband a purchaser would be a fool to replace its exhaust. And, it's quiet. I believe that comment can be applied to the majority of the bikes being manufactured today. Dirt Rider has definitely taken the stance to criticizes loud exhausts. The off-road community I think is probably more aware of losing rights to ride than the on-road community; the issues being "threat" to the environment, recklessness, and noise.

What really pisses me off though is when legislation goes straight to banning riding in certain areas or on certain roadways, skipping the whole law enforcment solution. The laws against excessive noise are already on the books, enforce them.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

When I see someone with really loud pipes, be it on a cruiser or sportbike, I tend to believe that the rider is a dilletante type... doesn't ride very often or very far. One of the worst things for fatigue on a long trip is a blaring exhaust. None of the people I know who put on lots and lots of miles have particularly loud exhausts.

I'd never run one.

- rant

However, as anyone who remembers the abortive "Less Sound - More Ground" campaign of the 70's would know, loud exhausts are just an excuse for people who want to restrict us and will make up any excuse to do so. We quieted our bikes and they closed (and continue to close) more public land to dirtbikers. Look at the senseless trouble the snowmobilers have had in Yellowstone from the Sierra Club Earth First eco-freak wackos.

Loud pipes work against us, but even if we made all of our bikes whisper quiet the safety-nazis would still look for other excuses to harass us. Motorcycles by their very nature frighten the typical "afraid of his/her own shadow" middle class sheeple. On top of that they are jealous of motorcyclists who obviously aren't a pack of whining cowards. Go to a few local City council meetings and you'll see these theetie-weeties lobbying the municipalities for intrusive ordinances in their pathetic attempts to assuage their fear of everything and to be "safe". These are the sort of people who support fascist govt initiatives like the Drug War, Goals 2000/No Child Left Behind, Racial Quotas or Campus Speech Codes. They are best dealt with by direct resistance not negotiation.

-rant off
Old 03-09-2005, 05:59 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Look out Condoleeza!

I see you are exercising you legendary diplomatic skills again, longride. LOL!