Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Loud Pipes Lose Rights? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2693-loud-pipes-lose-rights.html)

Iman01 03-10-2005 08:09 AM

Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

Try riding more than 20,000 miles a year.

Iman01 03-10-2005 08:21 AM

I am aggrevated by cage drivers every time I get on my motorcycles. It might be different in your neck of the woods, but here in Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska, everyone behind the wheel is an a$$.

Everyone that starts riding bikes is cautioned to ride like the people in cars and trucks are trying to kill you. At some point you come to realize that they actually are, whether they know it or not. If I have to ride a loud obnoxious bike to remind them to not run me over, I will do it.

I have and ride quiet bikes. I like to sit on my old man touring bike and pass the miles away without the need for ear plugs. But when I am on that bike, I have to be twice as careful. I guess it is just worth it to me to annoy you a little (maybe a lot by the sound of your reply) so that I get home alive.

Iman01 03-10-2005 08:27 AM

The only bike I have older than 87 I bought in high school. So yes, please join me.

mile_eater 03-10-2005 09:42 AM

sure.

That's why I still think my cm400c is just as cool as a VTX1800.

sarnali 03-10-2005 01:58 PM

Still dressing up like Eric Estrada huh?

sportbike_pilot 03-10-2005 05:57 PM

Re: Tuesday

I pre-avenged this dent in comrade Buzz's karma by calling him the other night on the phone with my best KPaul imitation which I believe had him fooled for all of about 4 seconds - plenty enough time to hear his heart stop beating 900 miles away.

Bring that chrome boat anchor on amigo!

U calling up Ebass?

Ashley confirmed exacty what you and longride have been telling me about HD/Buell engines and she knows more about tuning them than about anyone I know so as far as I'm concerned longride in now my newest Motorcompany guru and I stand corrected!

-sbp

SRMark 03-11-2005 08:18 AM

I have to admit, I don't stop and take dump on the trail like the horses do. At least not while anyone is watching. My my rear knobby can churn things up a tad though. The horses exhaust note is a wee bit more silent than that of my XR600.

SuperBill 03-13-2005 04:44 PM

Speaking of loud pipes, a friend of mine used to own an old AMF shovelhead 88 CID stroker with straight drag pipes. Loudest street bike I've ever heard (when he could get it running). Man, it HURT to ride behind that thing. Not just your ears, but your chest too. Heck, even your Adam's apple would bounce around if you got in the blast of those infernal pipes. Anybody got any other nominees for loudest on the street?

caderider 03-14-2005 10:33 AM

Re: Yes, Loud Pipes do Lose Rights

People are actually putting louder pipes on the new GL1800 Goldwing (and have on the older ones too). Granted it's no Gixxer, but it's quite the torque beast given the genre of bike it is. Handles decently too. Has a good exhaust note - epecially WFO. But I like to be able to hear my stereo also, not my pipes.

drnick49 03-14-2005 03:28 PM

By the way, the Hooker 2 into 1 setup is only part of the package. I also went with an S&S carb, Andrews EV-27 cam, ignition module and K&N filter; and, of course, suspension mods. I have had this setup on a dyno and the hp and torque improvement were evident across the entire range, not just up top. The suspension mods, interestingly, transformed the bike - Progressive Suspension fork springs and Progressive 440-IAS shocks. I know, I know, if I bought another brand I wouldn't have had to do these things, but NOTHING is as beautifdul as my Harley Low

Rider.