Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #91
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Lose Rights?

You're going forward, noise flows out behind you. Basic physics blows that arguement out of the water.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #92
sarnali
Founding Member

Well said. Children will play.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #93
phelpsw
Founding Member

I think society at large as much bigger issues than loud pipes. I find the rolling getto blasters much more offensive, besides RAP is not music. But loud pipes are. Let's set some priorities and get Social Security squared away first. Then chase the pipes.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #94
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: It's not us, it's them!

He doesnt need the horn, just pull in the clutch...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #95
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Here's some dyno's

They do put it on stock, on their stock 25 grand Screaming Eagle Specials! It's sad because all the bikes could be like that with no increase in price.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #96
Vlad
Registered Member

Loud pipes ***** me off because they irritate me and promote a bad image for bikers. If you want to be safe, invest in a headlight modulator. There is data to indicate they can seriously reduce accident rates. Just from the way people react around me, I know they see me better, so i won't ride without one.

As for pipes, when i sold bikes, people said that the loud pipes were a safety feature, I say bull crap. There's no data to back up the claim, and the guys with the pipes usually bought joke helmets and rode in t-shirts. They aren't interested in safety, only in being obnoxious and "manly." I don't think I have ever seen a guy with loud pipes wearing a full coverage helmet and body armor.

I wear that stuff, ride with a modulator and have additional brake lights and a brighter headlight bulb. Then again, what do I know? I've only been riding for 30 years. I have also had non-riders ask me if my BMW is running (they are used to dweebs on "enhanced" harleys). But the problem isn't Harleys, it's the idiot fraction of their riders, just like the idiot squids.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #97
BruceF
Registered Member

Hi, I've got a Blackbird with 2Bros slip-ons, their so loud that my girlfriend has to read my lips at 20 ft., and within 1 mile of my house I've got a fellow rider [in uniform] right behind me...anybody know of a aftermarket baffle for this system ,[outlet pipes are oval] I like the weight savings, a little louder is fine, but it's not fun knowing that every radar gun within a the next mile is being turned on me....Thanks and be safe
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #98
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

George, Buzz,

Do the Japanese metric cruisers copy this part of the HD mystique as well? Does it take aftermarket hardware to get them up to where they should be or is this year another unique way that the motor company racks up lots o $$$.

Man, are those old boys sharp. They do not miss a trick.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #99
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I have ridden both the 9 and the 12 and I like the 12 a WHOLE lot better.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #100
christian_gates
Founding Member

Straight pipes on a large displacement, long-stroke V-2 motor are about the worst thing in motorcycling. They seem to be much, much louder than other engine configurations.

The concussion from the detonation is more than annoying - it's physically painful to the point of being abusive. Further, it harms not only people on the road, but people near the road.

I rode for a short period of time behind someone with those ridiculous blammo pipes on their Harley and thought I was going to die. My solution was to use about 25% of my unmodified sportbike motor to pass him at high speed and reduce the significant suffering I was experiencing. My friend, who's inexperienced and wasn't comfortable with a pass, had to stop to clear his head after following that jerkoff through a tunnel.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote