Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Why I Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2689-why-i-ride.html)

Grum 03-06-2005 01:01 AM

Re: Why I Ride

Absolutely spot on! Unfortunately my bike is loud and although the sound is nice I hate offending pople and setting off car alarms. The alternative (sewing machine noise) is not really any good either.

Anyway, good topic and am I first post for once???

jstrain 03-06-2005 02:52 AM

I'm sure I'm not totally alone when I say that I really don't know why. There are a bunch of practical reasons. Mileage, less road wear, inexpensive compared to cars, etc. I even know that I enjoy the freedom and excitement, but there is just something that some people feel and others don't. Those that don't usually don't understand the obsession. I understand (and suffer from) it, but I can't always put into words what that feeling is.

lukam 03-06-2005 03:15 AM

With two small kids, work and the busy life around all that stuff. It seams ridding is still the only way to the let the brain get some relief especially up the PCH in California or in the 4 corners region of the desert southwest.

This is a tough one to put into words......

allbikesbiker 03-06-2005 03:18 AM

I can remember the first ride I had.

A '65 ElectraGlide that I bought for $1,400.

I used someone's half helmet and had a T-shirt and jeans on.

It was about 8pm on a Sunday night.

I made the turn onto Rte 20 South in Paterson N.J.

I twisted the throttle.

In seconds I was doing 70mph.

The wind rushing by was exhilarating.

I looked down and saw the concrete become a blur.

I leaned into the first turn, back up, then the next.

The sensation of cutting through the wind is it for me.

I was hooked.

Buzglyd 03-06-2005 03:49 AM

Hey!

The Simpsons have been on for 15 years.

Fad indeed!

"Just once I'd like to be called Sir without someone adding, 'you're making a scene' after it." - Homer Simpson

theski00 03-06-2005 03:54 AM

What a great statement..My first ride at 16 was a honda 504 hooked ever since. Now I have a 2004 sport and a 83 yamaha 750 I just love all styles of riding ..cant pick a favorite . Thinking of a kaw 1200 zrr this spring or mabe a duk monster dark ..any suggestions in the pesuit of perfection ?lol theski

theski00 03-06-2005 03:55 AM

What a great statement..My first ride at 16 was a honda 504 hooked ever since. That was 30 years ago .Now I have a 2004 sport and a 83 yamaha 750 I just love all styles of riding ..cant pick a favorite . Thinking of a kaw 1200 zrr this spring or mabe a duk monster dark ..any suggestions in the pesuit of perfection ?lol theski

Chango 03-06-2005 03:58 AM

[*]I ride because I sold my car last year.

It's not because it's cheaper to ride than to drive. It isn't. I got a nice #6 X 1 1/4" wood screw in my back tire last weekend. I limped the bike home on a plug and spent a little over $200 buying a new tire and getting it mounted and balanced. On the plus side, when I went out riding yesterday I rode with a burning, fiery passion because last weekend's ride was interupted so rudely, plus I had to see how my new tire felt (Excellent. I like my new Bridgestone BT-014). Chains are expensive when you don't know how to take proper care of them (my first bike), or when an o-ring disintegrates. If you change your oil according to the schedule, bike oil generally costs $3-4 per quart instead of $0.99 per quart. And other regularly scheduled maintenance seems like it is more expensive for bikes. My car got about the same gas mileage as both bikes that I've owned so far, and better than several bikes are getting nowadays. Of course, it's 1500cc engine was smaller than several bikes nowadays... It weighed less than 2000 lbs, so it didn't exactly destroy the road from the weight. I liked it, for a car. I sometimes miss my 1994 Mitsubishi Mirage. Usually when I forget to go to the grocery store for a couple of weeks and end up making 3 or 4 trips in one day.

[*]I ride because it's more satisfying. [*]I ride because it's more fun. [*]I ride because it allows me to smell the roses, or the river, or the freshly cut grass, etc.[*]I ride because it lets me smell the dead skunk. After I pass the dead skunk I only have to wait a moment for the smell to go away. In a car you have to wait for all of the air inside to clear out. [*]I ride because as long as I'm paying attention, it's safer than driving. [*]I ride because it means I don't have to sit and wait for my engine to overheat when traffic has stopped on the interstate.[*]I ride because I like the feel of spandex against my naked flesh. Leather alone is a bit uncomfy.[*]I ride because I don't fit any of the old, outdated stereotypes for bikers. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I have a cleancut appearance, and I don't even cuss very much (Unless I just found a #6 X 1 1/4" wood screw in my back tire...)[*]I ride because I've met lots of folks while riding who are decent folks who are just out enjoying themselves, like me.[*]I ride because I'm a bit of a loner.[*]I ride because jumping on the bike and riding off into the sunrise is getting to be a forgotten art.[*]I ride because my mother told me not to.

"Remember: It's always easier to do things the hard way. -- Chango

nollan 03-06-2005 04:00 AM

Well, like they say, if you have to ask, you won't understand. And I ain't gonna bother explaining it to ya.

If you experienced riding and like it then we talk the same language. Cruisers, sports bikes, dual purposes sports, scooters or dirt bikes? It does'nt really matters so long it suits the purpose of my ride.

RosevilleRod 03-06-2005 04:08 AM

Re: Hey!

Maybe I'mjust culturally deficient.

Rod