Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #81
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Like Gravity

I ride because its a good idea. If someone has not already made this point, it's a bigger mystery to me to figure out why people don't ride.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #82
gceaves
Registered Member

Default Re: Why I Ride

I just ride to get around: sightseeing, commuting, nightclubbing, visiting friends, etc. Can't really imagine any other way to go places.

gceaves

Hyosung GV250

Seoul, Korea
gceaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #83
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I never could understand that mentality. I would never hook up with anyone that gave me ultimatums. Hell, I'd ask my bike if it was OK to get married. Two great quotes about motorcycling come to mind:

"Motorcycling isn't just a way of life. It's more important than that."

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:

"Wow! What a ride!"

Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #84
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Default Re: Why I Ride maybe

Every automobile has two insurmountable problems: They have two too many wheels and they lean the wrong way.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:20 AM   #85
Chango
Founding Member

If you're getting 12-15K out of a rear tire, I don't think you're using a Dunlop D218 on a 2005 GSX-R. And if you are, then maybe you're not commuting the same type of road I'm stuck with most of the time... Or maybe you just use more of the tire more of the time. I had 4200 miles on the tire and the center was getting awfully close to the wear bars. As much as it rains here in Arkansas, I'm not willing to ride on bald tires.

As for car oil vs bike oil, some people do that and never seem to have a problem with it. The one time I did it I ended up buying a new clutch a month later. It's possible the clutch was dying anyway, but it felt just fine until I put the car oil in, then it started slipping the next day. Your mileage may, and apparently does, vary.

Sure, I'm a sissy, and the dealership takes me to the cleaners, but at least I'm a sissy who rides.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:38 AM   #86
EthanR
Founding Member

I ride because...I AM every one of those young boys staring out the minivan window wondering what it must be like to fly about on 2 wheels. If I ever lose the excitement I get every single time I toss a leg over the saddle (of whatever I happen to have at the time) I'll know it's time to quit.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:02 AM   #87
memery748
Registered Member

Reminds me how lucky I am. A good partner cares that you're happy and wants to understand and participate in the things that mean something to you. 35 years ago my parents said "I don't understand it, I don't like it, and it's expensive... but it's clearly what you care about" and they proceeded to buy me, their 8yr old son at the time, a honda z50 followed by an XR75 followed by a CR125, etc. and take me to local motocross races.

16 years ago, my girlfriend, now wife, said "I don't understand it, I don't like it, and it's expensive... but it clearly makes you happy" and she proceeded to purchase a Katana 750 (to replace the GSXR750 that she said was too uncomfortable for her on the back). This was followed by a Duc 748 she insisted I buy when we had young kids and she couldn't ride with me and, now, an ST4S she insisted I buy so she can ride on the back again. Now she wants to take a class and buy an SV650.

To anticipate a question some of you might have: she DOES have 3 sisters but they are all married.
memery748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:11 AM   #88
kowalke67
Founding Member

Nice! Inspired me to login just so I could say Nice!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #89
mmort
Founding Member

Default Re: Why I Ride and I'm over 55

I acquired my first motorcycle at age 14 in 1962. I won it in a contest much to my parentÂ’s dismay. I still remember the rumble of the powerful Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine, the wind in my face, the vibrations between my thighs. It was like thinking about Mary Jane rotten crotch in her pretty pink panties at the junior prom only better. Soon after I was arrested 2 blocks from my house riding in a quiet residential neighborhood. My parents freaked, knew that I would soon become a reckless hooligan, running down elderly ladies, tearing up flower gardens and exposing my parents to huge liability and instant bankruptcy. They sold the bike.

My only exposure to motorcycles for the past 40 years has been helping scrape 2 brothers off the pavement who hit the side of our train, underage riding double on a small dirt bike on their way to go swimming. (The moral – never assume a railroad track in the country will not have a train on it) Later it was seeing my middle aged friends buy large Harleys, crash and become leg dragging gimps. My opinion of motorcycles was still danger and hooliganism.

Then my 2 kids each bought crotch rockets, and all their friends bought crotch rockets. I had to again face my fears. I took the motorcycle safety course, bought a bright yellow Kevlar jacket and a black Kawasaki Ninja 500. To those who know motorcycles, I look like a middle-aged killer bee on a chick bike. To those in cars, I look like another scary deranged hooligan on a black crotch rocket.

Last Sunday I was riding out in the country, weaving through the curves, feeling the wind on my Kevlar reinforced chest when I looked down briefly, looked up and saw ape hangers followed by a line of big Harleys. I thought I was riding headlong into a convention of crack-induced Hells Angels. I was soon to have my ass kicked just for riding a Japanese bike on their road. They were waving and making strange gestures.

"Alright brain, itÂ’s all up to you. Its not because you look cool in your killer bee outfit, and its not your riding skills." After a mile of confusion, I realized they were warning me about the quarter mile oil slick in their lane, the big wreck at the 4-way intersection up ahead and the line of cops directing traffic. I thought where else could you get instant road traffic and a police report with hand gestures. They all seemed friendly and genuinely concerned. ItÂ’s better than a computer. And I havenÂ’t even thought about computers since I left the driveway. Or how I pissed away the last 30 years of my life sucking up to corporate teat. I havenÂ’t even thought about the contempt I have for lying-two-faced-sacks of hypocritical-self-righteous-greedy-yuppiefied ***** that will soon grease me out the door so someone who doesnÂ’t speak English can do my job cheaper.

IÂ’m 57 years old. I have a lifetime total of 683 miles riding under my crotch. If my wife hadnÂ’t left me I would have been forced to buy furniture and a sewing machine instead of a motorcycle. And now that I will soon have no job I will have enough time to break in my engine and go past 6k on the tach.

So in the words of my hero:

"Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."

-- Homer Simpson

" IÂ’m hittinÂ’ the road. Maybe IÂ’ll drop you a line some day from wherever I wind up in this crazy old world."

-- Homer Simpson

mmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #90
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: Why I Ride and I'm over 55

Ride on, mmort!
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote