Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Why I Ride

I hate that myself, the whole "midlife crisis buy a bike" look. I feel like saying no, If I was having a mid life crisis I'd be dressing like a teenager trying to get in your daughters pants.........

Instead I just smile in my polite, softspoken way and say "no...I've been riding all my life..."

and mentally shuffle them in to the 99% percent of the the population I don't give a ***** about catagory...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #22
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Welcome back to motorcycling! You've missed a lot over the years but it's never too late to "get back into it". For all the readers out there who are thinking about bailing on motorcycling because they're getting married, or having kids; you're hooked up with the wrong woman. And don't bother trying to sell me on the self sacrifice trip. After almost 50 years, I've pretty much seen it all. "I'm buying a house." "I'm going back to school". Read between the lines, "Motorcycling was just the flavor of the month pastime, but maybe someday I'll get back into it."

Ok, what's my point? I just don't want to see a lot of people end up like rosevillerod, missing too many years of motocycling because of some heavy "self sacrifice" trip.

Cheers,

gsxrwolf

GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #23
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Riding reminds me of skiing and snowboarding, which I have always enjoyed, but you can go uphill and a lot faster !

Plus it satisfies my techo-nerd side because I have always been fascinated by gadgets and machinery. And there is the feeling of freedom and connection to the rest of the world instead of being just an observer in a cage.

Lastly... the Simpsons is the best show on TV. Period. IMHO.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #24
giganto
Registered Member

Operating any tricycle/bike/skateboard/minibike/gocart/car/truck/tractor/motorcycle down the road at any speed has always provided me with sensory pleasures already well described here. Riding a motorcycle (even so moderately) seems to delve into MORE of my whole ability/potential/desire to enjoy a personal transportation vehicle. It takes more of me. When over, that little trip for frozen yog provided more fun to more parts of... me.

As well, It is absolutely the case that choosing this FORM of transportation, which places us in greater danger, makes the rest of our off-bike waking life more of a simple and profound celebration.
giganto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #25
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey!

You're definately missing out on some hilarious, tongue in cheek, biting social comentary. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #26
rapier
Founding Member

Rosevillerod is among the loner school of rider, of which I am a member, quite common among long distance types. One of the many classes around including the squid/boy racers, the Harley crowd which is mostly social, and many others.

Each catagory tends to have a different motivation except for the universal ones which have to do with speed, acceleration and control. No car can ever quite match the sense of being an extension of the body like a bike, and that feeling power that the body and mind gets from it is addictive to some.

Boy racers like to push the limits and the cruiser boys and girls like to identify with the coolness that the power implys and we loners I think it is fair to say like sense of control. power etc. , combined with the sense seperateness from others yet connection with the environment riding gives.
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Why on earth would anyone listen to a psychiatrist?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #28
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey!

I can't understand why someone would not watch Simpsons once. Just to find out what it is all about. Why on earth should you Rod condemn yourself to such complete cultural ignorance?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #29
ofreen
Registered Member

When I hear somebody make the 'midlife crisis' comment to somebody else because they try something new, I tell them it is better than being for all intents and purposes dead like they are.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I only ride so I can say I know Buz and SBP. If it wasn't for those guys I would have quit a long time ago.