Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #91
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Girls Like Bikes, Too.

Nicely stated.

And you've reminded me of something else... I posted earlier about a little boy smiling at me from the back of an SUV. But let's not forget girls like bikes, too!

One time some friends and I were making a day trip through Central California. We had made a stop at a nice coffee shop in Arroyo Grande. There were already three motorcycles parket out front, so our additional seven

bikes made for quite a lineup.

As it happened, my bike was parked right outside the front door. A little girl came out, followed by her mother. The girl couldn't have been more that four years old. She was holding some sort of candy. She stopped dead in her tracks, her eyes wide at the sight of all the bikes.

I was standing right there, so I smiled at her and asked, "Do you want to sit on it?" Her eyes were still wide, but now she was also

slack-jawed... She quickly firmed that up into a huge smile. With out even looking at her mom, she handed off the candy and savored the

motorcycle.

I moved my gloves and helmet, and Mom put her in the saddle. She sat there beaming. Had she been big enough to reach the bars, I would have had her start the bike. But she was thrilled as it was.

I think that moment was one of the best parts of my trip. (Full credit to the little girls mother for going with the flow.)
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #92
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: Why I Ride

I ride simply because I chose to and that's reason enough. We live in a day and age of political correctness, litigation, personal responsibility, and oppression in general. Riding a motorcycle is the symbolic last vestige of impulsiveness, freedom, and wanton behavior that we have. But how long before the "safety police" take this freedom away from us? So just ride, ride, ride.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #93
kowalke67
Founding Member

Ha, it's funny. We must all have that "kid in the car window" experience. I've had a lot of kids put their hand out, palm down, and then do short up and down motions trying to get me to do a wheelie. Since they asked...

In Chicago many of the streets are cramped and you ride within a couple feet of the pedestrians on the side walk. I've seen kids jaws drop to the ground when I've ridden past on my DRZ400S- modified to look more like an all out dirt bike than dual sport. That thing is so tall it towers over kids. I've seen more than one Mom's arm almost dislocated when her little boy stopped dead on the sidewalk to look at the bike in astonishment.

I always think the same two things. Your right kid, motorcycles are cool as hell and you'll grow up soon enough...
Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #94
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Girls Like Bikes, Too.

Nice, that is good. I had a different experience once though.

I was leaving a Panera Bread shop early morning. I was parked right in front of the entrance and I had the bike running. I was geared up except for the gloves- I was still putting them on. A mother and her daughter- probably around 4 yrs old- were walking towards the entrance. The daughter stopped dead and the mother made it another couple steps before she realized her daughter was not with her. She looked back and I looked and that poor little girl had a look on her face like I just ran over her favorite doll. I finished putting me gloves on and lifted up my flip-face to look a little less Darth Vaderish to her. Didn't have much effect (don't know what that says about my face). The mom was a good sport. She just smiled and tried to coax her daughter to her telling her it was okay; the daughter wasn't having any of that though. I smiled and waved and rode off.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #95
Grum
Registered Member

Yes, you're right. It's just that it's difficult to legislate against selfishness and stupidity.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #96
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If you didn't ride a BMW you could wheelie every time the kids waved at you!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:36 AM   #97
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

LOL, yeah, or if only I had Sean's talent.

By the way, you wheelying the Brutale? Or do kids not wave to you?
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #98
ZD
Founding Member

Well said roseville. well said
Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #99
EthanR
Founding Member

Default Re: Girls Like Bikes, Too.

Oh, I'd never forget the girls! My daughter enjoys riding with me at least as much as my son does.

But if I'd said, "I AM every one of those little girls..."