Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #71
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

Man, you donÂ’t know the half of it. IÂ’ve been conscripted to a federal grand jury for the last 14 months, and guess who weÂ’ve been indicting: Terrorists? Crooked Wall-Street Types? Corrupt Politicians?

No, No, and No. WeÂ’re indicting drug dealers. ThatÂ’s right, in the land of the free, we are unleashing the full prosecutorial force of the United States Government upon (predominately young black male) non-violent Americans that are doing nothing more than selling dope to their fellow Americans, willing buyers all. My jury has met three days a month Since January of 2004 and heard one gun case, one Medicare fraud case, and about a million drug cases.

WE INDICTED A GUY FOR SMUGGLING A COUPLAÂ’ BALES OF GRASS DOWN FROM CANADA, FOR CHRISTSAKES!

In my little corner of the world we have half a dozen Assistant U.S. Attorneys, A Senior U.S. District Judge, four grand juries, and a couplaÂ’ dozen federal agents (FBI, DEA) devoting 90% of their time to putting young, black (or occasionally Russian), male drug dealers in prison.

Most of my fellow jurors see nothing wrong or un-American with thisÂ….

Hunter S. Thompson was all over this kind of idiocy like ugly on a bulldog. He took a great deal of license with the facts, but only to stretch the already absurd to the epitome of absurdity. We got tired of hearing his rants, but we shouldnÂ’t have.

Our federal government is as f****d-up as HoganÂ’s Goat. The people need to know. I say we all chip in and buy johnnyb a few hundred tabs of LSD and let him pick up the torch for a new generation.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #72
SuperBill
Founding Member

No one should refer to Viet Nam as a "war of non importance." That war had important consequences that to this day shape our political discourse and military operations. However, as VWW pointed out, it was, ultimately, "pointless."

It didn’t start that way – we jumped in for the most noble of causes – the freedom of an oppressed people. But the failings of our political leaders and military flag officers resulted in an unproductive engagement that drug on and on until we finally tired of it, declared victory, and left. Shortly thereafter Ho Chi Minh "reunited" Vietnam and an entire people were once again uniformly oppressed. That pretty much defines "pointless."

It’s interesting to consider the lessons that we learned from the national nightmare that was the Vietnam War. The "Powell Doctrine" of applying overwhelming military force comes to mind. But we didn’t learn the BIG lesson – NOBODY PUT THE UNITED STATES IN CHARGE OF FREEING OPPRESSED PEOPLE!

As I write this, the United States is losing one or two GI’s a day in a shyte-hole desert to free an oppressed people. Good men – America’s best. Volunteers all. And hey, if it all works out – if everything goes as well as it possible can – in sixty years Iraq will be as good an ally to the United States as France is today. Talk about pointless….

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #73
roperin
Founding Member

Amen brother. Nirvana - same story. Defined alternative music for my generation, then Cobain ate a shotgun shell. What a waste.
roperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #74
mike_lashmore
Founding Member

How in the world do you have to pay for anything Thompson did? He never espoused his lifestyle for anyone, in fact, that's a famous quote of his. "...but it works for me.". Most psychedelic drugs have few if any health consequences.

It takes courage to alter your conciousness, some drugs can be dangerous. The fact that writers in the past also used drugs is not the point. What happened in the 60's was revolutionary, and Thompson was a part of it. I don't know why he killed himself, but you shouldn't judge him for it, you didn't have to experience his pain.

Obviously, we do need more people like him to tell us how crooked politics has become. Bush makes Nixon look like a liberal. Condi is supposedly a student of history, and she is a crooked a lier as the rest of them.

No one I know said Vietnam was unimportant. It was a vitally important example of a huge waste of human life, the same as the bogus war in Iraq.

Bush learned nothing from Vietnam, the Powell doctrine which represents what we learned was casually thrown out the door by Rumsfeld and over 1000 honorable Americans are dead for nothing.

The fact that so many people on a motorcycle message board feel so strongly about Hunter is a testament to his talent and legacy as a writer and journalist.
mike_lashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #75
red916
Founding Member

Ah yes, Tommy you are correct - but entirely missing the point. You see Tommy, he was cool. Not Steve McQueen cool, but cool never the less.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #76
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Good lord Bill if you slip JB a few hundred tabs of LSD, not only will he become the HST of a new gereration, he''ll start sounding like us. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #77
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Better be careful, you guys are making me proud to be a MO subscriber. VWW
Old 02-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #78
johnnyb
Founding Member

Well the couple hundred tabs of acid is certainly a good starting point. Let's talk benefits, bonuses, that type of thing... Hey, I would say I did try to exude a little HSTness when i worked at Motorcyclist, and it got me fired within 8 months or so of having a column wherein i ranted, in a really tame way, a little. probly wasn't the ranting so much as all the fan mail i got...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #79
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Truth be known JB, dispite your often liberal ramblings, your HSTesque ranting was the main reason that I got off of my a$$ and subcribed to MO after they became a pay as you go site. Ditto for the reason that I let my subscription lapse at the uptight Motorcyclist Ragazine for letting you go, that and their censorship of Gordon Jenning's retort to his CHP editorial. VWW
Old 02-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #80
f4ik9
Founding Member

I had a lengthy reply posted for all to see, then apparently it did not meet the criteria for this board so it was edited off. I will repost here for your consideration.

I am from the generation that is having to clean up the mess brought about by people like HST espousing casual, consequence free drug use. Much like the both physical and emotional mess HST left behind for his family to deal with, suicide is the most selfish of acts, which is an act of cowardice.

Webster defines a coward as a "person with a shameful lack of courage, who is unable to face danger or trouble." Does this not define a person who spent most of his life trying to alter his perception of reality through modern chemistry?

I had to sit through his drivel in modern lit and the same thing I thought then I think now. I didn't need HST to tell me politicians are crooked. Any student of history would know that. I didn't need HST to tell me about mind altering narcotics. Lewis Carroll and Edgar Allan Poe were both notorious Laudanum addicts. I definitley don't need him to define the motorcycling experience.

Also, I am tired of people calling the Viet Nam war a war of no importance. I know of quite a few Viet Namese refugees who might would like to argue that. Also, so much for tolerance of other peoples views. There are several other people who make a real contribution to society and happen to be motorcycle fans that are killed each year and they aren't mentioned here once. A notorious doper who happens to have gained fame due to narcotics use and these guys bemoan his passing. Whatever.
f4ik9 is offline   Reply With Quote