Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-22-2005, 06:56 AM   #61
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

I hate to bust everyones bubble but...

a) There are no toll booths eastbound on the Bay bridge

b) Hunter Thompson was a very entertaining writer but the whole gonzo image thing was just an act, a pose to sell books and newspapers.

He didn't really do the ****e he wrote about.

Fake, not real. Fiction, not journalism or autobiography.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2005, 07:19 AM   #62
obandoj
Founding Member

It takes balls to do it your own way. What generation are you from anyway? Easy to call someone a coward without walking in his shoes!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:24 AM   #63
SRMark
Founding Member

I was semi-intrigued with this nut many years back, but then I had kids. I guess it takes a look out to the fringes to appreciate the middle. I'm comfortable there now and won't really miss his odd ramblings. RIP you nut ball.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 AM   #64
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: RIP HST

i liked his social commentary, but his ducati review reveals him as a moto novice. which is not necessarily a bad thing so long as you are writing for other moto novices. but it explains why he was never again asked to write for a savvy biker audience.

some may find bravery in suicide, but i disagree. unless there were some health issues that weren't public, it was an extremely cowardly way to end it, IMHO. it is easy to squeeze a trigger. much more difficult to suck it up and battle hand-to-hand with the tough times. tough times never last, yada, yada.

i don't think i was a fan as much as an amazed observer of a truly unique character.

RIP, hunter.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #65
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I agree with you both in principle and certainly in sentiment but I would, to play devil's advocate, point out that Woodward and Bernstein probably had more to do with the seachange in politics in the early 70's that HST, Ellsberg, et. al. Sometimes the meticulous approach is better.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:56 AM   #66
johnnyb
Founding Member

and some would even say HST's approach hurt the left more than helped it. We do seem to have a nice right-wing backlash going on now. Tons more people in prison for drugs and fringe behavior now than then. ***** man, they put Tommy Chong in jail. Or was it Cheech? I remember laughing our butts off to Big Bambu in like junior high...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #67
tomk2
Founding Member

The National Review Online?

Man, talk about a narrow demographic with a poor grip on reality... those freaking neo-con kooks are still hunting for WMDs and waiting for Bush's second round of tax cuts to balance the federal budget.

Hunter S. THompson clearly was not the most f*cked up mind of his generation.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #68
ebass
Founding Member

Fish, whale, boat, old man, whatever... Hemingway is boooooooring. I'm only truly impressed by those bold and creative enough to break new ground like Thompson and Burroughs, the rest are just literary technicians, variably skilled at following the standard issue recipes for churning out a bunch of blah, blah, blabbity, blah, blah, ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #69
Triumphil
Founding Member

Default Re: Shine On You Crazy Bast-ard!

You need seriuos help
Triumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #70
f4ik9
Founding Member

I'm from the generation that is having to pay for the mess that folks like Thompson made by espousing casual, non-consequential drug use. Similar to the both physical and emotional mess he left for his children to bear. That in itself is an act of cowardice.

As far as the coward bit, Webster defines a coward as a person with a shameful lack of courage, who is unable to face danger or trouble. Now, does that not define a man who spent a lifetime altering his perception of reality through chemistry.

We didn't need HST to tell us politicans were crooked. Any student of history would know that. We didn't need him to tell us about drug use. Hell, Edgar Allan Poe was a notorius Laudanum addict as was Lewis Carroll. Powder Cocaine addicts in the 1920's were called "Snowbirds".

It's just that several people that make a real contribution to society and are motorcycle fans are killed each year and nothing is posted. But, an irresponsible writer who gained fame simply because he was counter-culture goes out like a punk, and all these non-tolerant people who preach tolerance, bemoan his passing. Would Senator Janklow have been given a softer treatment here if he had toked up instead of drank up?

I'm also tired of people referring to Viet Nam as a war of non importance. I'm sure there are several South Vietnamese people that would argue that point. Same for Iraq.
f4ik9 is offline   Reply With Quote