Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #51
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson dun Kills Hiseff

Nope, same thing happed last year, rained like a sum***** all week before the race, made the track nice and muddy. It's on the 27th at 0730. Brrrr..nice and cold.

Went snowboarding this weekend, what a hoot. Was snowing like crazy up in Big Bear.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2005, 06:20 AM   #52
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

A lightning 650, right?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:25 AM   #53
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

My guess is that if you are part of the very, very narrow demographic that reads and buys into the drivel espoused by the pusillanimous propaganda pushing chicken hawks at NRO, none of whom are worthy of trimming HST's toenails, it is no small wonder that you fail to "get" the message that HST delivered. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:30 AM   #54
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

My guess is that you probably had more traction on your snowboard this weekend than you'll have in the mud next Sunday. VWW
Old 02-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #55
iamz
Founding Member

Well, I don't read NRO and I don't "get" it either.

If 'Song of the Sausage Creature' exemplifies this guy's typical writing style, I can safely say I can't imagine any of his so called literary musings on life would have had any impact on me at all. What a bunch of worthless drivel.

And from what I could gather, he was riding the Ducati well beyond his ability to control it in a more than reckless manner on a public roadway. Sorry to offend, but I thought around here at least, we called people like that SQUIDs.

Nothing amusing. Nothing accurate. Nothing insightful.

Just my opinion. Like I said, I haven't read any of his other stuff.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #56
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Not really, running Barum mud-o-cross tires, on the 250 and they stick like glue.

I've got a Dunlop M21 on the front of the 500, with some el-cheepo Kenda Baja tire on the back that hooks up like nothing I've ever tried. Looks like a sheeps foot tamper of a D-9.

Anyway, it's mostly desert, so it's not that bad. The track gets muddy in a few places where they had to truck in dirt for the berms, jumps, etc.

It'll be so damn cold that the bikes will just be warming up about 3/4 of the way through the hour long race. Lots of fouled plugs and cursing riders. Fun stuff.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:59 AM   #57
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: RIP HST

I agree with JB. HST was funny as all get out and his books are a riot. I have them all and am a fan of the books, stories and his numerous articles. But journalist - for HST, viewed as a whole, that's stretching the definition a little. I think that Hunter was waaaayy out there were the buses don't run on most issues he covered. Doesn't mean he wasn't funny or informative - just incomplete.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #58
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

It was about the fish, it was not about the old man, it was not about the boat, it was about the fish.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:14 AM   #59
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Perhaps you're too young to remember what is was like to see your friends conscripted, and maimed in one of our other pointless wars, we needed voices like Hunter Thompson's then, and we could use more like him now.

VWW
Old 02-22-2005, 07:24 AM   #60
johnnyb
Founding Member

U right about that part. Somebody said he'd've made a great motojournalist. In fact, HST wouldn't last a week in today's environment for a number of reasons. And I imagine the same is true in just about any publishing environment anymore. It says a lot about the climate in the 60's compared to the current one, when it comes to free exchange of ideas, etc. Then again, the internet didn't exist then so maybe it's a good trade?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote