Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #41
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

well at least he wrote about the boat and not all the oars `e encountered along the way.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #42
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson dun Kills Hiseff

Race canceled? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #43
rapier
Founding Member

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bull*****, but even without being sure of "history," it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons nobody really understands at the time -- and which never explain, in retrospect, what's actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights -- or very early mornings -- when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L.L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was. No doubt at all about that . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that, I think, was the handle -- that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eye you can almost see the high-water mark -- that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas:

A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #44
Hipshot
Registered Member

Hunter no doubt had a great gift as a word merchant. Wish I was equally talented. But, other than that, his work was mostly drug induced depressing puke which had no relationship to reality. Nonetheless, I don't like to see anybody commit murder, even if its on themselves.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #45
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

I believe that objectivity is not a requisite for journalism, since it's impossible an' all. A journalist needs only to acknowlege how his opinions are biased.

I'm not saying that HST was a journalist. I dunno, I never read any of his stuff.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #46
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

LOL! Very punny.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #47
f4ik9
Founding Member

Whatever. Another dope head takes the coward's way out. And he was supposed to be the voice of a generation? That explains a lot.
f4ik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:11 AM   #48
maladg
Registered Member

2/22 WSJ has a nice write up on HST by Tom Wolfe.

2/22 National Review Online has one by a fellow who worked at Rolling Stone during the "glory years" and had to "handle" HST from time to time.

Both quite interesting.

I was reading HST in the 70's, too. Jungvist is wrong - all of HST's work is of a specific time, place and demographic - and transcends nothing. And as the NRO author pointed out - a very, very narrow demographic.

Transcendence is an awful lot to ask for or expect. Just capturing the zeitgeist of a tiny group during roughly a decade just ain't enough.

HST is already an obscure answer to an infrequently asked triva question.

Back in say, mid 80's I'd have offered to give anyone who said such nonesense a good lashing. But time marches on. Hunter did not.

And there is no glory in suicide.

JB nailed the CW thing - nice read, but thats all.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:45 AM   #49
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

Colorful writer and personality.

Can't really fault him too much for deciding his own end but there are more considerate ways.

However, I do think he lived a tortured life of his own choosing also and though gifted with a certain brand of "charm" and charisma, did he do much more than provide satire and venom and glamorize a fruitless search for happines in many of the wrong places? Ok, I am mindlessly drivelling. I am even worse there...

Many of the worlds worst monsters had buckets of charisma. There has to be more.

paul from Minnesota
Old 02-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #50
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: RIP HST

I've always thought your writing must have been influenced by him. I've only been reading your stuff for maybe 5 years though.

He may seem overrated to me too, but then I wasn't born till well after his "big days"
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote