Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: RIP HST

Gotta agree with ya JB. HST's stuff was interesting, but he seemed more absorbed in himself than his subject matter. In the end, it was all about his image. I did enjoy reading all his stuff though.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #22
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

Hunter would have wanted you to do it in the reverse order, but yeah, you've got the right general idea.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #23
ebass
Founding Member

Those who've read my work know that I've always worn my reverence for Thompson's work on my literary sleeve. When I heard of his self-inflicted demise my first thought was quite frankly, "Perfect"! Hunter could never have gone out of this world on anything other than his own terms, and there is nothing cowardly about putting the final period on the novel of one's life at precisely the point when one feels that it is complete. His contribution was not to be found in any one work, or even in the quality of its content, but rather in his bold stylistic adventures. I have always felt that after Thompson and William S. Burroughs, everyone else was just another hack, churning out literary elevator music. Rest Not In Peace, Hunter. You're time on earth is over, now get to kickin' ass wherever you've landed!!!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #24
johnnyb
Founding Member

C what i mean? You could've used a little hemingwayesque Literary Economizing Ebass. Your stream of consciousness can get a little over the banks if u know what i'm sayin... HO HO HO!!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #25
SuperBill
Founding Member

IÂ’ve got to agree that going out with a bang at 67 is better than going out with a gasp at 95 with drool on your chin and a butt-load of butt-load in your diaper. That said, putting a gun to the temple seems a rather ignominious way for a man like HST to die. I join the ranks of those that hope we will learn that in this case, "self inflicted" was something along the order of a drug-induced miscalculation whilst juggling a trio of ****ed revolvers.
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #26
ofreen
Registered Member

I don't know why he killed himself. It is his business and I won't try to find fault with anything but the method. Close range gunshots to the head are usually pretty messy and somebody (many times a family member or someone else close to the individual) will be the first on the scene. It will be traumatic for that individual. Persons committing suicides with firearms are being inconsiderate, and yes, selfish.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #27
johnnyb
Founding Member

come to think of it, how old was papa hemingway when he decided to check out via self-inflicted gunshot? Hey, it's like you guys said when Indian larry died falling off a motorcycle. HST loved shooting his guns, so you can say "he died doing what he loved."
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Hunter S. Thompson dun Kills Hiseff

When I was around 13, I read his coverage of the Mint 400 (desert race). Too much. He would have made a great motojournalist.

There was one part about eating peyote and washing it down with Coors beer (in a tall can) that was pretty funny, if I remember right. Or maybe that was me. Whatever.

Rat on HST. Thou goest not like a galley slave at night...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Or sometimes the slug goes right through, and gets stuck in the doorjamb. Very little blood or damage, 'specially with a .38+P

On the subject of someone snuffing ones self, it goes like this; when a persons life is so painfull that they can't even sleep, and it actually "hurts" to live, who's business is it?

And if anything, a pistol's quick. Quicker than liquor.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #30
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: OPINIONS: You have yours...I have mine...

Well, it was all an elaborate joke, of course, but one that accurately exposed the weird schitzoid nature of the American character. As motorcyclists I'm sure we can all appreciate that war between the rational and the irrational that Dr. Thompson expressed so well.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote