Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2679-hunter-s-thompson-kills-himself.html)

pattonme 02-21-2005 07:31 AM

Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

I'll upchuck alright. He lived a life to revel in debauchery, isolation, disfunction, and breaking drug laws (whether there should be laws on cocain etc. being besides the point). He isn't credited for doing anything notable in the last 30 years (by the repeated press accounts which may not be entirely thorough) and I guess his assessment of his own selfworth and contribution to society was so high he ended it by eating a bullet. The guy should have been in one of those much touted "self-esteem building" classes. I'm sure his son and wife appreciate his final selfless gesture. Living in Aspen skiing yourself off a cliff or into a tree could at least pass for an accident so life insurance could be collected.

Velociraptor 02-21-2005 07:37 AM

I was always a big fan of his ever since I came across "The Great Shark Hunt" in 1980. I would never want to be him or live like him but he was sure as hell fun to read. I think people like him just don't have the capacity to live normal lives so they either find an outlet that allows them to function or they end up in jail. Lucky for us he could write......Sad to see him go and I wonder if there was something that triggered his suicide such as a cancer diagnoses or something....time will tell...

MRALLCAPS 02-21-2005 07:44 AM

HE BE A CRAZEE DOPE-AZZ GANGSTA!

I BE TIPPIN A FORTY FO' MY HOMEE HS-TEE! HE BE DOIN' MAD-AZZ WHEELIEZ ON GOD'Z GSXR-1000 WIF ALL MY BOYZ UPSTAIRZ!

BMW4VWW 02-21-2005 08:15 AM

I always admired Hunter S. Thompson, not for his decadent hedonism, but for his bold irreverence of our political leaders, and the idiocy of their policies, during a time when even greater numbers of the public bought into their deification than the current crop of sheep. My six year old son is named Hunter in his honor. Good by HST. You will be missed. VWW

Loki22302 02-21-2005 08:19 AM

I always believed suicide was the ultimate selfish act. Shame on him.

Labeling HST as a journalist is incorrect. He was a satirist. Through his drug and alcohol bent eyes, he pointed a finger at the absurdities of our lives. There was no objectivity in his writings and he never claimed to be objective.

You may have admired him for his writing prowess or you might have dismissed him as an insane clown, but there is a real need for court jesters like HST to remind us that the emperor wears no clothes.

jungkvist 02-21-2005 08:30 AM

OPINIONS: You have yours...I have mine...

Thompson, Burroughs, Wolfe, Kerouac and Neal Cassidy, all crossed the lines between information, philosophy...and, personal expense (real and imagined) and we all laughed like Hell, and were all the richer for it. So, viewing anything HST wrote, through the narrow focus of the Big End of the journalistic-telescope, is PRETTY DAMN STUPID! (if you ask me)

I donÂ’t owe Hunter S Thompson any thanks because he told me it was raining outside. But, I am grateful for his observations that it was actually a Reign of Insanity that was besetting us allÂ…and, he made me laugh (just the same) while he did it.

HST took a Pogo Stick to a MotoGP race without ever hoping to win, but he conquered so many Worlds with his Words, Wildness and Wit.

And, so, now, when anyone says, "Hey, you sorta write like Hunter S. Thompson," almost every writer feels proud of himself (maybe not you, but thereÂ’s not accounting for Whatever Board You Have Up YouÂ’re A$$ at this particular moment, and, who really cares, anywayÂ…so, Big Deal/So What/Why Bother).

jungkvist 02-21-2005 09:09 AM

Yep! You're Right!

I always thought it was Surrealistically Ironic that Polictics made more sense when they were viewed for Thompson's drug-addled and twisted perspective.

While the "World News Tonight," told us what had happend, Thompson always reminded us that, they were Full of $hit, and that...Objectivity was always Skewed by Personal Perspective...and, were all Crazy, anyway...So, so much for Dan Rather and his Silly A$$ sweaters...

And "Meet The Press" is just a bunch of well-paid over-dressed Blow Hards, who just happend to arrive at the studio unusually sober, ENOUGH, to sorta make sense (to anyone watching TV at that time on Sunday morning...and, who were viewing without the benefit of at-least three cups of coffee, or a bottle of medical-nitrous handy).

Hey, he made lotsa sense, to some of us.

obandoj 02-21-2005 09:27 AM

Way to go! RIP

uberhawk 02-21-2005 09:51 AM

Well, it's sad to have someone you've enjoyed and admired turn your estimation of them upside down on the way out.

I would not have thought that HST would turn to the coward's way out...and I'm saddened by it. I almost hope it turns out to be a staged murder or something, so he can salvage some respect.

Godspeed regardless

johnnyb 02-21-2005 09:58 AM

Re: OPINIONS: You have yours...I have mine...

Right, if i disagree with u i must have a board up my ass. Actually I thought something felt a little unpleasant back there. Hey, HST is the "self-described gonzo journalist," and you're right, all journalism is subjective to some degree. So, running with that theme: if his ramblings re: a Ducati are that far of the mark, it sort of makes you wonder how accurate all his other observations might have been?

I liked HST's stuff too, but I don't think most of it was anything to shape your whole worldview around. And if you did, I'm sure he is having an excellent laugh wherever he is.