Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Hyosung coming to the USA as ''Hyosung''? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2671-hyosung-coming-usa-hyosung.html)

JOE420SHMO 02-13-2005 10:02 PM

Re: Hyosung coming to the USA as ''Hyosung''?

First post!

Question: how does the (nuke) situation with north/south affect the marketing stratagey to the United States sales?

tomk2 02-14-2005 12:47 AM

Are you thinking "what will parts availability be like after a nuclear exchange on the Korean peninsula"??? Hmmm, hard to say but it could be a problem. I don't believe their "No Dong" missile can reach Milwaukee yet (though Japan is sure in range) so mebbe buy a Buell?

Anyhow at least it answers a big question for the neo-cons who lied us into Iraq... like "WTF is the deal with all those Iraqi WMDs you Bu****es sold us on?"

SRMark 02-14-2005 02:19 AM

For those of us old enough to remember, Datsun put out a few noteworthy cars, like the Roadster, the 510 and the 240 Z. Pretty competent cars at a time when Japanese cars were pretty crappy, Porsches were pricey, British stuff was suffering from quality control troubles and America was wrapped up in muscle. (God bless the original Z28 for putting handles on that muscle and Mustang/Shelby for matching that effort.) At that time, I certainly didn't associate the name Datsun with junk.

Neal 02-14-2005 02:36 AM

Agreed...my father had a 510,my cousin a 240Z...nice cars. Datsun also made two nicelittle sport cars,one a 1600 engine one a 2000. The 2000 was a competent and well regarded sports car. At that time (late 60's early 70's) Datsun quality was generally considered to be better than Toyota.

I believe quality control issues in the 80's tarnished datsun's rep and caused them to drop Datsun in favor of Nissan.

stoney8888 02-14-2005 02:46 AM

The mustang came out with handles first 64 - 66 then the Z28 matched the effort. But they both came out with big blocks at the same time in 67':)

skadamo 02-14-2005 03:15 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I am no expert on foreign relations and don't know all the details, but I doubt the North would nuke the south. Geographically, it is to close and they share to much blood.

Also, South Korea accounts for 6.2% of thier trade. Japan is 11.2% of thier trade. Besides China and Thailand, doesn't look like any other countries care to do business with them...

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2792.htm

I don't see any strategy that would work for North Korea as far a bombing a country goes. The only productive thing they can use thier nukes for is to get attention.

pdad13 02-14-2005 03:38 AM

Enlighten me, skadamo--Hyosung coming to the USA as ''Hyosung''?

Hey skadamo, as far as you've heard, why the change? I can see the logic in not using the Alpha name anymore, being every other distributor in every other country is using Hyosung--and the company is starting to receive some significant buzz (even though Alpha sounds better to western ears.) But do you have any idea how they plan to distribute and market?

Alphasports seems like it could be too small of an operation, with too few legitamate dealers to carry out Hyosung's plans. Plus, Hyosung could probably make more margin doing it themselves, or more volume with a bigger distributor. Is this thinking on the right track ?

mscuddy 02-14-2005 04:57 AM

Bravo Hyosung.

As to that crack about the venerable early Datsuns as being "cheap", inexpensive yes, but cheap no.

Remember the Bluebird? A copy of British motorcars, right down to the pushrod motor. With Japanese electrics, pretty much indestructible.

And the early 70's 1300 & 1600cc pick up. My '71 1600 would not wear out. The suspension was so stiff, if you hit a cigarette butt, it'd bounce you through the overhead. Could put 3/4 ton in it though, no problem.

seruzawa 02-14-2005 05:02 AM

I bought a Datsun 510 in 1971 when I got out of the Nav. I had a ball driving it up and down Sunset Blvd blowing the doors off of the occasional MGB. Then I'd race up and down Tujunga Blvd with similar results. Maybe I was just crazier than the average guy who drove an MGB.

It was troublefree. All I ever did was change oil and put tires on it. At the time this was unheard of, since virtually all American cars required frequent returns to the dealer. The early 70s was probably the worst time period for American cars in history. Even Model T Fords weren't much worse than much of 70's American junk.

My older brother had a Datsun 1967 1600 Fairlady (the two seater) that would easily stomp almost any British two seater. The Dartsun 2000 was easily the fastest two seater aside from the Sunbeam Tiger. 'Course the Tiger used the Ford 260 V-8. The 4 cylinder Sunbeam was arguably the worst British two seater ever built. Probably the worst two seater ever built was the Fiat 850 Spider.

At the time it didn't take much to be more reliable than an MGB, Triumph, Sunbeam or Austin Healy. Even an AMF Sportster was more reliable than one of those.

seruzawa 02-14-2005 05:03 AM

Oops

I meant Tujunga Canyon, not Tujunga Blvd.